Can an HDD of 5400rpm handle avchd video editing?

u see the rpm stands for rotation per minute..more rotation more speed in general..but editing AVCHD clip needs more than just the rotation speed of hdd.. u will need a high config computer with 8 GB ram (if possible)..

you may want to hear what others think about AVCHD.. follow this link then : http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=22941&highlight=avchd

btw, i haven't seen you introducing yourself in anywhere...let us hear about yourself..

Last edited:
I'm thinking about buying an hdd, probably external. Does the rpm of hdd have any impact on the avchd editing process?

It might be able to cope with it, but I wouldn't put money on it. The more revolutions per minute, the smoother the editing process will be (fewer dropped frames and less stuttery footage). I would not want to edit from a HDD slower than 7200 rpm.

I edit HD on a shitty computer. 1GB of RAM, not sure the rpm or processor speed off the top of my head, but I do know it's pathetic and lots of people on here would tell me it's totally impossible to edit HD on my computer. I do it anyway. You work with what you've got. Cineform Neoscene helps with smooth playback issues, but devours hard drive space.

So, your answer? Yes. You can. Will it be a pain? Probably. But why delay making movies any longer?

I edit HD on a shitty computer. 1GB of RAM, not sure the rpm or processor speed off the top of my head, but I do know it's pathetic and lots of people on here would tell me it's totally impossible to edit HD on my computer. I do it anyway. You work with what you've got. Cineform Neoscene helps with smooth playback issues, but devours hard drive space.

So, your answer? Yes. You can. Will it be a pain? Probably. But why delay making movies any longer?

Totally agree with you on this, but the OP said he hasn't bought an external HDD yet… may as well spend a bit extra for a smoother edit :)

I agree with you, that's why currently I'm working on SD format which my pc can handle, even though my cam can record hd. The thing is, I'm planning to shoot something serious in the latter half of the next year and I have to do it in HD. I'll be buying a laptop for editing then. But for now I need an external hdd anyway, so I was just checking about it whether buying a 7200 rpm would save me from buying another one after only 6 months.

u see the rpm stands for rotation per minute..more rotation more speed in general..but editing AVCHD clip needs more than just the rotation speed of hdd.. u will need a high config computer with 8 GB ram (if possible)..

you may want to hear what others think about AVCHD.. follow this link then : http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=22941&highlight=avchd

btw, i haven't seen you introducing yourself in anywhere...let us hear about yourself..

I joined the forum about 6 months ago, so probably it's piled up by new members' posts. I'm Sohan Haidear. I live in Bangladesh and I'm currently working on a short film. I also didn't get your intro, are you learning filmmaking in London?

I joined the forum about 6 months ago, so probably it's piled up by new members' posts. I'm Sohan Haidear. I live in Bangladesh and I'm currently working on a short film. I also didn't get your intro, are you learning filmmaking in London?

umm...I am learning filmmaking by my own actually..i know some people from film schools and from industry...I'm just trying to work with them and to do some shorts/docs by my own..

so, u r submitting ur short in the fim festival in Dhaka?

The RPM definitely influences the edit. Considering how inexpensive hard drives are, I don't recommend anything less than 7200RPM.

Also, wouldn't the direct connection of an internal hard drive be faster than the USB2 connection for an external?

Personally, I think external is best only for backup, and internal is what you edit on. You can get a TB for less than $100, and I don't think they even make 5400RPM internal drives any more. Of course I have no clue how easy or difficult it is for you to get stuff shipped to you, in Bangladesh.

Another thing they never tell you is that you should never fill your hard drive past 50% capacity -- reduces proccessing speed immediately, and it gets worse the more you fill it up.

I agree with CF, but I'll add one thing. Choose Firewire over USB2 for a more consistant sustain rate of intense data transfer. USB2 can hit up to 480 MPS, but it cannot sustain that speed. Firewire can sustain 400 MPS for as long as you need it. That's why capturing video with firewire is more often recommended.

Firewire2 will have sustained 800 MPS when it becomes available.

Yes, unless specifically stated laptops come with 5400 RPM hard drives. You can order 7200 RPM HDD laptops from the web sites of laptop manufacturers. They cost a few more dollars. But, they are available as custom models.

It would be nice if Sony computers had it as standard equipment instead of the original Firewire 400. I have 2 Sony Laptops a good 10 years apart in technology and they both have the built-in Firewire 400.

The older one has USB1 and the new one has USB2 ports.

5400rpm is good enough for editing with heavily compressed footage. Just make sure you don´t fill up the drive too much (more than 2/3rds hit the performance noticeable) and maybe convert to a more cpu friendly codec like dnxhd or cineform.

Back