Camera Upgrade Crisis

Hey guys,

New member here, so first of let me say hello & I apologize in advanced if I am posting in the wrong thread or if any of this post comes off as novice stuff. However, I currently am in need of some help. I have been working/starting up a new independent record label and I am in need of upgrading our camera equipment. The owner has a nice used Sony HVR-A1U but it is some-what out of date because its shoots miniDV. Im looking to sell this camera and upgrade to maybe 1 or 2 other cameras. My budget is around $3000. Now I did manage to get down to EVS in Burbank CA today and the guy Ben who worked there was super helpful but even at that I left overwhelmed. Here is where the infamous question "What should I get!?" comes into play. Let me first explain what I am looking to use this camera for. I want something that is going to be very versatile yet amazing image quality. I will be attempting to do lots of interviews, short clips, and even some music videos. I would ultimatley like to get into something that gives me the option to film a short film or high budget video also without needing to rent other cameras. With that being said I also need great still images as well. Ben @ EVS steered me in a few directions at the show room. Ben recomended the Panasonic AG-AC90 http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/ag-ac90.asp as a great camera for my needs because its a similar shooting style & configuration to the sony we currently have. My only issues were that it does not have an interchangable lense, its not a true dslr still camera, and also I couldnt find many reviews or mateial on this camera. Has anyone used this device and whats your feedback? Now I also looked into the Canon 7d as well as possibly the Rebel t3i. My question is what would you do given my budget and situation? Like I mentioned before the idea of having 2 cameras is appetizing as well. I dont mind renting lenses, I'd like to get into a camera that comes with a decent lense for overall shooting and I will rent for any other needs. Also used gear could be an option. Sorry for the long thread once again.. Im just trying to get a clear direction on where to go with my purchases!

-GB

Last edited:
Please note there are much better people on this forum than me to advise about cameras. However, it just so happens I was looking at cameras... The one word of advice is to buy something with interchangeable lenses. This is critical.

What would I do? Depends what I was shooting. Personally, if what I was shooting was going on TV or smaller, I would go for two cameras. e.g.:

1. Two cameras. Lots of shooting, buying new. Assuming you already have the relevant accoutrements e.g. tripods, sliders, fluid head, editing equipment.

I would have a couple of cheap DSLRs. You could buy a couple of Panasonic GH3s or a couple of Canons with prime lenses at this price point. These will capture excellent footage and gear up with additional stuff such as lights etc... which would give an extra level of quality to the shoots.

2. Used option. This would absolutely be my choice.

Same again with DSLRs (but maybe better DSLRs such as 5D MkII etc...) or if you are going used you might pick up a couple of Sonys. So you could a couple of Sony VG10s with primes. I shoot on a Sony VG10 and am happy. It has a few advantages over DSLRs and I have experience with Sony kit which means I am used to any quirks but they are all pretty much of a muchness.

3. Single camera option

Depends what you want to do with it. Me, personally, I would go for the VG30 because I have experience with Sony kit, going for body only, buy some primes and have enough left over for a few bits and pieces such as lighting to improve the picture quality.

Otherwise, I would dearly love a Black Magic because of RAW. However, I probably need my head looked at because it lacks versatility. e.g. the workflow would be a nightmare (you can shoot prores but it's RAW where it scores), cards are expensive, battery life etc... But I love the idea of RAW and for me, personally, I want this. Also, realistically, you would need to spend money on additional stuff which would probably take the price point to $4k USD.

Otherwise, there are great Canon and Nikon DSLRs. You can't go wrong with a 5D Mk3 - brilliant bit of kit and just a shade over $3k USD although you'd need to buy glass etc... It does not shoot RAW but the high end Canon and Nikon DSLRs along with the VG30 are the high end choices of the $3,000 USD bracket. Excluding of course, the Black Magic... Did I mention it can shoot RAW?

Last edited:
Hi Gatlin, I would stay away from Canons (except for the 5D Mark III) for interviews because of the 12 minute continuous clip limit. And the 5DIII will blow your entire $3000 budget for the camera body alone.

The $1850 Panasonic AG-AC90 is a great small sensor camcorder, but it lacks the flexibility of interchangeable lenses, will not give you much control of depth of field and is not a useful still camera. The same can be said for the other small sensor camcorders in this price range, such as the $2000 Sony NX30 and the $1775 Canon XA10.

If you need stills and video, I would get the $1300 Panasonic GH3. Unlimited clip length, wi-fi control, 1080/60p, fully articulated LCD, and its viewfinder and autofocus continue working in video mode.

Here is what the GH3 can do:

Doc: http://vimeo.com/54076272

Narrative: http://vimeo.com/59543338

Narrative: http://vimeo.com/49420579

Here is what still shooters are doing with it: http://www.flickr.com/groups/gh3/pool/

I own this camera, after having switched over from Canon, and it is the best hybrid still/video camera at your price point.

Good luck with your decision,

Bill

Last edited:
Hey everyone thanks for the help & input! I am still trying to process your responses but I do believe I am honing in on the direction I want to go. Jax I feel like buying a AC90 & 7D will be to drastic of video quality if I wanted to do multi camera shoots. And also I think I am sold that I absolutely need to get into to equipment with interchangeable lenses. Here are the options I am considering:

1. Two DSLR's (I’m liking the Cannon 7Ds or Nikon D300S) Opinions? Thoughts?
I’d like to get them with decent lenses. What kind of lenses should I look for on these cameras.
New or Used for entire units is cool with me.

2. 1 DSLR/1 CAM. (Sony VG10 & D7/60D/D300S) Thoughts on this type of setup?
Good or Bad idea?

3. Buy one high end 3k DSLR/CAM (5D MKII/Sony VG30) CONS are that it will be 1 camera however the pros in function/video quality might be worth only having one device. What are your thoughts?

I’m still not sure where I need to go with my purchases. I want to make sure I get the best options / quality stuff within my budget. My current gear includes; Sony A1u (ForSale), Professional Tripod(Bought @EVS), Final Cut X, FC Express, Adobe CS6, After Effects.

I am interested in getting some accessories too. Within my budget.. I might be able to squeeze another 500$ over 3k. Maybe some lights, jib, sliders, stabilizers, etc. What would you guys recommend getting first? I a looking into some DIY stuff as well. Many people online make their own jibs & sliders and they turn out really professional if you know what your doing.

Thanks for baring with my antics and questions! :)

Back