• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Camera Suggestion Needed

Here are the requirements I am looking for...

.Shoots in 1080p
.Have control over film speed, can shoot at 25...30 and possibly 60 fps
.non DSLR so I don't have to pull focus as I move the camera a lot
.wifi capable to monitor images from a tablet.
.would like to be able to shoot in wide screen as well, either through addition of wide angle lens or some kind of setting change within the camera.
.Price range between 1-2 thousand dollars.

I appreciate any suggestion you all can give me!

I don't exactly have a suggestion, but just a few thoughts/questions.

Are you looking for a tape based camera? SD card? SSD?

Also I would expect pretty much any camera in $1-2k to shoot 1080p.

25 and 30 are interesting. You may have difficulty finding one that shoots both 25 and 30: are you a PAL or NTSC country?

DSLRs are often mentioned here as a good camera that is cheap, and people often get them because of the manual focus. The newest in the Canon rebel series, t4i/650D does have auto focus for video, though I'm not sure if its anything noteworthy....

You'd be hard pressed to find a camera that doesn't shoot in widescreen these days ;)

After a quick google search, came up with the Hero3 GoPro camera. It looks like a toy, but for $399.99 it seems to cover all of your required specs. Don't ask me about the quality or suitability, I've never used/seen this camera before but the site has a video with a girl in a Bikini, so it must be a good camera right?

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#description

Now when you're talking wide screen, are you talking 16:9 or 2.35:1 or more? This camera seems to be able to do 1440p. This camera even seems to be able to do 4k at 15fps. Did I mention waterproof? That helpful? ;)

It seems to be a really odd camera.

I actually just looked at that camera and it has a ton of great features...except for one major draw back. Watch the videos again and look at the corners of the screen,they are rounded toward the top. The camera has a spherical lens. Its a great camera for hyper real action,will eventually include in my kit for sure.

I did find a camera that fits my needs quite well. Its the Canon XA-10. Good price range and can do everything I need.

Appreciate the feedback :)

After a quick google search, came up with the Hero3 GoPro camera. It looks like a toy, but for $399.99 it seems to cover all of your required specs. Don't ask me about the quality or suitability, I've never used/seen this camera before but the site has a video with a girl in a Bikini, so it must be a good camera right?

You haven't heard of it? Interesting. It's a very popular sports camera. Horrible sound, almost literally no control of settings either from what I've seen, I wouldn't recommend it for something film like, but because its small and cheaper and it's great for throwing around with your extreme sports

I had seen the GoPro name before, but I never really took a look. A cheap camera that can do 4k (even at 15fps) is slightly interesting, but as you said, it has very limited controls.

I had seen the GoPro name before, but I never really took a look. A cheap camera that can do 4k (even at 15fps) is slightly interesting, but as you said, it has very limited controls.

IMO for me the 4k is a bit of a gimmick because at 15fps it wouldn't look as good, but it is kinda cool. Unfortunately a lot of people see amazing sports videography woth the GoPro and then with a small interest in short films buy it thinking they can produce good footage inside their house under very different circumstances. I've had at least two friends fall for this, I also think it is more popular among younger people

Back