Camera question

Hi guys, so in two days I will be getting my camera "canon vixia hf g10" I Know this thing can be a beast on battery life but I am wondering since I will be doing indoor shooting if I can just plug it into a wall with out having to worry about the battery life. For outside shooting Im sure I would have to get some more batteries but indoor I don't see why I cant just use an indoor plug

If you're using an external mic plugged into the camera (highly recommended), you can sometimes get a hum in your audio caused by the alternating current from the wall socket and power cord. There's no real way to know ahead of time, you'll just have to try it out.

Also, having the camera plugged in can severely restrict camera movement, obviously.

I recommend having three batteries. Two is the absolute minimum, but three is safer.

Thanks. I guess i'll just invest in some batteries. Why do you recommend plugging the an external mici to the camera I always thought it was best to record it separately then sync it later.

Having your audio already synced will just save you a lot of time in post. If you have to sync separately, a program like PluralEyes helps greatly. Also get a slate. (In fact, the MovieSlate app was the tipping point in me finally getting an iPad.)

It is always best to record to a seperate recorder and sync later. Some plug straight into the camera as it's easier/cheaper.

On the topic of your initial question: It really depends what you'll be shooting. If you're going to be shooting one long static shot at a time on a tripod, in a location close to an AC outlet, than maybe you could shoot tethered to power..

For reference, the only time I've shot on a camera that hasn't run out on batteries is when I used to do events, and would sit a n unmanned stationary camera constantly recording a long shot at the back of the room.

Don't you find that there is not much use to sync into the camera, while shooting? If an actor says a paragraph of dialogue for example, I find it's best to take several sections from each take, and create the best paragraph from the best takes, through editing. Maybe it's just my editing style but I find that I will only use about 20% or less of the audio from the same take of the video. So why bother to sync it to the camera, when you are just going to mix and match the best parts later anyway, unless you really are planning on cutting it in a way, in which you want to use the same audio from the video tracks.

I've actually done that in "Adam Funn". We had a spot where the video was from take D, and the first half of the line was from take A and the second half of the same sentence was from take C. While the actor was facing the camera.

That's pretty rare for me, though. I think having synced audio helps as a baseline, especially for those just starting out.

Sync'd audio is always essential. Then you know it's synced for sure. After that you can do whatever you want. PluralEyes may help to some extent (I've never used it), but the amount of low budget films I've seen where the audio has been out of sync..

PluralEyes is amazing. It even managed to perfectly sync audio when the camera's reference audio track was barely audible due to me forgetting to change my gain levels. And without a clapboard. And no dialog in the scenes. The loudest thing in the shots is the sound of 3x5 index cards being slid across a table, followed by the actor's breathing and chair creaks.

I've got a cheaper model in the vixia line - you can pick up high capacity third-party batteries for those very cheap. I think I paid around $30 for a battery that runs for 5-6 hours. Here's a link on amazon to a similar one:

http://www.amazon.com/BP-827-Rechargeable-Intelligent-Battery-Camcorders/dp/B004OMD4Y4/

The larger batteries do stick out the back, so they make it harder to use the viewfinder, but if you're primarily shooting with the LCD they're fine, and you can always swap in the stock battery when you need to use the viewfinder.

Back