Camera prices

What is a fair price to pay for a high quality super8mm camera?

I've been looking around the net and have been seeing prices from $50 up to $600. Is there really a major difference in final result (the finished film), or is the price disparity more about having extra bells-and-whistles?

An inexpensive camera doesn't cost very much. An expensive camera costs more. That's the main rule :)
For the extra money invested you should get a fully functional camera with better lenses (critical for getting a sharp image in this small format) and the ability to manually adjust focus and exposure. Beaulieu, Nizo, Canon, Nikon, Bauer, Chinon made better cameras in their day. But remember all Super 8 cameras are 25+ years old by now; don't expect like-new operation unless you're willing to pay for repairs or preventative maintenance.

I've bought Super8 cameras for as little as $35 then turned around and sold them for a grand... Anything up to a grand is about right unless you buy something new from Pro8 which I do not recommend...

Sometimes on eBay you can find great deals...

I recently scored a like new Canon 1014 XLS (my 3rd one) for just under $400 and was glad to get it at that price...

I once found a like new Beaulieu 6008 at a yard sale for $15. LOL. I still have it and it works perfectly...

I also found an Elmo 1012 at a thrift store in its original box: $10.

But I don't mind paying for a good camera...

I tend to stick with Canons and Nizos because the images always come out just a little nicer to me than most others... Beaulieu is next.

Bauers are good cameras if you get the high end one... Nikon is also good.

Create a search within your account so that eBay will send you daily emails with new auctions containing certain kinds of cameras you're looking for... That's how I usually find good deals before other people... Every once in a while, you can find a BUY IT NOW deal that is a lot lower than what the seller could easily have obtained if he let the auction go...

Good luck,
filmy

I paid $100 for my Canon 814 - AZ.

I've no idea if that is a "good" price, but the camera was in tip-top shape and she was cleaned before they sent her out... I was happy with the price.

I love Wendy.
smiley_coy.gif

FilmJumper said:
Create a search within your account so that eBay will send you daily emails with new auctions containing certain kinds of cameras you're looking for... That's how I usually find good deals before other people... Every once in a while, you can find a BUY IT NOW deal that is a lot lower than what the seller could easily have obtained if he let the auction go...

Excellent idea!

Thanks for the input everyone :)

FilmJumper said:

Filmy, how do you do this? I never knew you could. :)

Favorite searches...

HailtotheKing said:
Filmy, how do you do this? I never knew you could. :)
No problem...

Go to eBay and make sure you're actually signed in.

Now type a search keyword into the search box. Something like: canon 1014 --make sure you have the pull down menu at "All Categories" --then click on the search button.

Now when your list of results come up, there should now be a link on the right hand side of the site... Above the search results that says:

Add to Favorite Searches

Click on that link and you'll be taken to a page that allows you to create your own search for any search term you type in... They allow you to be sent email notifications for up to 12 months...

Create several specific searches for all the stuff you're looking for... The email usually comes as HTML so you can click on the link within the email to bid on an item that you're notified about...

I've got some outstanding deals this way...

Believe it or not, I bought an actual HOUSE in a little town in New Mexico like this about 2 years ago for $3500... LOL. Not where I live but hey... Fixed it up and got rid of it for a really good profit.

It's a great way to shop eBay... LOL.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back