Camera basic info needed.

I am going to shoot a film in Sept. I've been a professional photographer for 30 years and am a Nikon customer. I've got a couple of lenses that I have loved, and I am a manual everything photographer. I always have read Canon puts a beating on Nikon Digital, then in my info gathering I read about Black Magic. Question is, I've got mic, tascam, tripods, lights, location, set, props, so which camera for a 1 act full length, no special effects, all inside film with a $5k to spend?

Vows - what's your distribution channel? If you're shooting for theatrical projection, you want to record at 2K resolution or greater. Wth a $5K budget, there's pretty much only one camera in your price range that will work with your lenses - the soon-to-ship $3K BlackMagic Cinema Camera with a micro 4/3 mount and a high quality Voigtlander Nikon to micro 4/3 adapter for $179.

With the remaining $2K, you can get the batteries, Solid State Drives, rails, matte box, etc. that you will need to turn the BMCC into a production camera.

If your distribution channel is the web, all you need is 1080p. In that case, I recommend a $1298 Panasonic GH3 with the Voigtlander adapter for your Nikon glass - or, if you want to use the camera for still photography in your day job after the film is finished, you might want to consider a Nikon D800 and an anti-aliasing filter to minimize its moire problem.

Hope this is helpful, good luck with your project and best of the holidays,

Bill

Even for theatrical projection, you don't need 2k and could easily get away with 1080 straight out of a GH3.

A D800 would also be good, especially with an external recorder.

I would like to submit my film to festivals. I don't need the camera until april, will Black Magic figure things out, and would nikon and others keep improving? As tech. changes almost daily.
Thanks

again...MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER...that comment suggests to me that you would not make that choice, that it is less than adequate(the nikon). I read some much on Magic, but get the thing out there. Is it working? Lastly, I would like to use it photographing my wedding, that is absolutely a consideration.
Again.. Thanks

Vows - The only reason I recommended the D800 was because it's a good camera, if you compensate for its weaknesses - and you are already an experienced Nikon shooter and own Nikon lenses.

I personally wouldn't shoot video on the D800 (or any DSLR). The mirror blocks the viewfinder, forcing you to use the LCD or a monitor, they quit recording after 20 or 30 minutes of continuous video (bad for weddings or other events), and they all (except the 5D Mark III) have terrible moire without anti-aliasing filters or other workarounds. No thanks.

People have shot great movies with DSLRs - but it is too much hassle for me. And for these guys too.

As far as the BMCC goes - yes, it will ship in quantity soon, and yes, people are already shooting amazing video with it, but it is not a wedding or event camera (can you imagine changing SSDs in the middle of the ceremony? Or the non-swappable battery dying?).

I would shoot both the wedding and the film project with the GH3, but that's what I chose as my personal camera - and I admit it - I'm biased :)

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Back