camera and lens help for a new/first project

Hi, this is my first post so I'll try not to sound too much like a newbie.

Anyway, I might be getting the chance to shoot a web series for my work (I work at a startup internet tv network and have been doing live in studio and prerecorded on location package camera work for a couple months now) and have been trying to read up on as much stuff possible in order to get ready, but I still have some questions.

So luckily, since this is part of where I work, I have access to lots of equipment (tripods, lights, shoulder mount, microphones, editing software), but we don't really have a good camera. We have a webcam, a couple flip cams, and an xl1. So I've been looking into possibly getting a DSLR (for this and hopefully future projects), and since I'm still relatively new and have essentially no budget, I've been looking a lot at the t2i. Since I'm trying to save money, I've also been thinking about getting the body only since I already have a couple of old lenses I found at my house. I've got a Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 and a Tokina 80-200mm f/4. Now I know I'd have to get adapters for these, but does this seem like a reasonable setup, or is there something better/more appropriate that you guys would suggest that I look into?

Minolta doesn't adapt to EF or EF-S without extra glass, I'd avoid that.

If you have for real lighting and for real audio gear, then I think a DSLR is a great step. Since you have Minolta lenses, they'd adapt to a GH2 a lot easier than a Canon camera. I like canon cameras, but not the base line. The GH2 is for sure the way to go unfer $1000, and several people here would argue the way to go period. 50mm isn't very wide though, especially on a 1.9-2 crop facrot (looks more like a 95-100mm) so a wide lens would likely be the next thing on your shopping list.

With your DSLR, you'll need an external recorder too. You shouldn't plug whatever mic you have into it. So it you don't already have a recorder, plan to buy one.

Interesting, well I'll look in the GH2 for sure. One of the main reasons I was looking at the t2i though is because I've seen it on sale recently for $550 (body only) and I've only been able to find the GH2 at about $900, and that couple extra hundred could help a lot.

As far as audio goes, I would need to get a recorder. However, I've heard a preamp like the juicedlink cx231 works pretty well and is about the same price as something like a zoom h4n. Is external better or can I get away with a preamp (not that i have a preference, but it would just be nice to know my options).

Dual system is better. A lot of DSLRs have automatic gain control which means the camera is cranking the audio whenever it gets quiet then quickly turning it down when it hears something. Basically a lot of noise and clipping. Even on some of the cameras that have disabled it, audio is an afterthought. Crummy preamps, inputs, controls and format.

Syncing audio later isn't too hard, and with a good external recorder it'll sound waaay better.

A month or so ago someone posted a link with some gray market GH2s selling for $500-600 a pop. Without a lens, I've seen the body on Amazon for high $600's and low $700's.

Back