Camcorder mounted in a moving car?

Hello, So I will be filming a series for youtube or vimeo. After much research I decided to purchase a fat gecko camera mount. Now this will be mounted on the windshield inside in the middle. Now I'm curious about sound, I don't want to pick up a lot of surround sound..just the actors(me and my friend). Do i go with the Lavalier mics or the rode mic and if the Lav mics, any suggestions on which? Oh should I purchase a camcorder hood as well?

Camcorder will be facing the actors, one camcorder for now. A second camcorder(different angle) will be added once more funding comes in.

Camcorder: Canon HF m30
Budget:$100-$400

Hoping for a Travel/Reality like series.

Thanks in advanced.

I know you're asking about a mic (I'm not the guy to answer that question), but I thought I should mention that you're going to need a really wide lens. Do you have an adapter for that camera? If not, I'd get working on that ASAP. You're not going to want it; you're going to need it.

Also, you might not even really want that mount. I bet it shakes like shit every time you go over a bump. If it were my production, I would sooner jerry-rig my own mount.

I know you're asking about a mic (I'm not the guy to answer that question), but I thought I should mention that you're going to need a really wide lens. Do you have an adapter for that camera? If not, I'd get working on that ASAP. You're not going to want it; you're going to need it.

Also, you might not even really want that mount. I bet it shakes like shit every time you go over a bump. If it were my production, I would sooner jerry-rig my own mount.

Haha, thanks for the reply! I haven't tested it yet. I have a pretty smooth ride even though those pot holes can be deadly. An adapter..like a wide lens? I was told it will distort the video, although it's not like I'm shooting a movie. I hate to waste a mount...will test it out first...hope it works! Or it will be one big paper weight!

oops just reread: no adapter.

Last edited:
Haha, thanks for the reply! I haven't tested it yet. I have a pretty smooth ride even though those pot holes can be deadly. An adapter..like a wide lens? I was told it will distort the video, although it's not like I'm shooting a movie. I hate to waste a mount...will test it out first...hope it works! Or it will be one big paper weight!

oops just reread: no adapter.

A lens adapter would the higher-quality way of getting wide with that camera. But you could also just buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Definition-Filter-Direct-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B003FLHTA0

You could probably find one in the $50-range that would do the same thing. Yeah, you're sort of down-grading the image, cuz this isn't a good lens that you're adding on top of your camera's lens, but neverthless, I think it's essential. Do the test-footage with your camera and mount, as is, and I can pretty much gaurantee that you'll quickly realize that you need a wider lens.

A lens adapter would the higher-quality way of getting wide with that camera. But you could also just buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Definition-Filter-Direct-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B003FLHTA0

You could probably find one in the $50-range that would do the same thing. Yeah, you're sort of down-grading the image, cuz this isn't a good lens that you're adding on top of your camera's lens, but neverthless, I think it's essential. Do the test-footage with your camera and mount, as is, and I can pretty much gaurantee that you'll quickly realize that you need a wider lens.

Thanks for the advice I applicate it!

Back