Cam Sug for Fly Fishing Movies?

My apologies, I know this question must feel like a repeating hammer to the head. Thank you ahead to those who-know like Direktor and Will for your patience.

Again with the "what's the best sub $1000 Camcorder" for Indie Film upstarts?

The slant: We will be looking to shoot more dramatic (plot line focused) versions of the popular "Trout Bum Diaries" action fly fishing movie series. Hoping to achieve a certain cinematic feel, but that's a year or 2 off the learning curve. Goal is to get a piece on the Fly Fishing Film Tour.

Also, could you point to any auxillary equipment we should consider? Waterproof housing? Special field mic? Rain cover? Monopod? etc.

We'd like to do quick underwater shots of fish being released and caught. Submerging the camera no more than a foot. Also, we'll be shooting in some extreme weather - full out December snow storms in Western New York.

From Direktors repeated recommendation listing I was considering the JVC GZ-HD7 and pv-gs500 both 8bills at bh. Should I have anything else on my radar either $200 cheaper or $400 more expensive?

Links to the Stalking Horse:
http://www.flyfishingfilmtour.com/default.asp
http://www.aegmedia.com/

Thank you so much for your input.

Hey Deju,

I used to shoot a lot of surfing from the water and I can tell you that under water housing can be very very expensive you would most likely be paying 1500+ at least. That being said a few years ago i went into my local Sony Central store to buy a new handy cam and they offered an underwater case that was almost universal to fitting the handy cams that were coming out at that time. I purchased the case for around 400 and have taken it as deep as 12 feet it has also suffered some pretty heavy wipe outs and is still kicking.

I hope that gives you some info on the Under water housing.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanx guys! Good to be here. Hope I can make a positive contribution in the future.

meaneye, do you have a link to the type of case you bought? I think you're probably referring to the soft case "housings" that run about $350 these days? It's kind of like a heavy duty ziplock with a lens ring and sealing system? If so, that was number one on my waterproofing list right now. All though, I got one of those $140 waterproof bags for my SLR and hated it. It was constrictive, the plexiglass lens ring distorted the picture, etc.

Hey Deju,

Here is the link to an updated product of what i used to use..:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SPK-HCC-Sports-Protection-Handycam/dp/B000NWMZGC

Might be a bit big and bulky but i never had a problem with the quality of the picture and all the camera functions are still available. You might be looking for something different but back then i was a teenager on a budget and i would still use it to this day if i was filming in or under water.

Cheers

Dave.

I'm leaning toward the JVC-GZHD7 primarily from Direktor's recommendation and the PV-GS500 from the 400s success.

What are my limitations with Mpeg compressed video? In terms of available software - off the shelf or freeware? And possibly transfer to film? I'll be editing on an Ahtlon PC running Windows.

Just fyi - I have a lot of experience successfully running large Samplitude (Audio Multitracking) projects on sed machine.

Back