• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Call for Entries: Script Pipeline

Script Pipeline has an upcoming final deadline for two of its contests on May 1: the Screenwriting and TV Writing Competitions. The entry fee's $50 for both contests. Prizes include $20,000 cash and direct circulation to companies in Script Pipeline's industry network.

Previous finalist Evan Daugherty sold Snow White and the Huntsman for 7-figures after entering this contest, and now he's adapting Midnight, Mass. for NBC and has rewrote Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Michael Bay and Paramount. Good stuff.

Also, Script Pipeline has a final deadline for its Great Idea Contests on June 15. The entry fee is $35. For more information, visit http://www.scriptpipeline.com/greatmovieideacontest and http://www.scriptpipeline.com/greattvshowideacontest.

To be honest, after reading the contest rules, my biggest concern is that there are no protections in place for writers submitting their works. From the official rules:

"13. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS

By accepting your Entry, including your submission of the Script, we in no way grant you any additional rights therein or otherwise expand the scope of your rights under applicable copyright laws. You are solely responsible for protecting your rights in the Script, including without limitation, for filing or registering the Script with the Writers Guild of America and/or the United States Copyright Office. You acknowledge and agree that Pipeline and/or any participating independent judges may independently access or develop creative concepts and/or works which resemble the Script or incorporate similar concepts, themes, formats, plot lines and characters to those in the Script and that you are not entitled to any compensation and have no rights of any kind in connection therewith."

While I respect the work that Script Pipeline does, it concerns me that this clause exists and could allow companies the opportunity to mine ideas to market as their own.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I would feel more comfortable with wording which stated:

"You acknowledge and agree that Pipeline and/or any participating independent judges receive and review multiple works in their daily operations which may resemble the Script or incorporate similar concepts, themes, formats, plot lines and characters to those in the Script. For these works submitted for consideration or already in independent development, you are not entitled to any compensation and have no rights of any kind in connection therewith."

This has a different tone from "may access and develop ... or incorporate ..." which opens the possibility of active use of received contest material, as opposed to the fact that a submitted script may resemble materials received independently or in prior development. Writers need to recognize that their submissions may resemble another. Studios may receive a better version of the same idea which they would choose to act on that may resemble one submitted for the contest. Studios can't be hobbled if they make no use of the submitted script. I understand that the reviewing companies will see many versions of the same ideas.

I would prefer more protection for a writer's' works by removing wording which suggest the idea of "active use" of script elements. Again, my concern is with the wording which on one level sounds like a standard release but on another opens the door for active use of ideas without compensation. It's this latter piece that concerns me. The rule's clause does not explicitly state from sources outside of the submitted script while leaving open the use of ideas from the script.
"... [they] may independently access or develop creative concepts and/or works which resemble the Script or incorporate similar concepts, themes, formats, plot lines and characters to those in the Script, and that you are not entitled to any compensation and have no rights of any kind in connection therewith."

reading between all the and/or's

=[they] may independently develop creative works which incorporate similar themes/plots/characters to those in the Script and that you are not entitled to any compensation ...
I am not suggesting that this is being done. Pipeline is a respectable resource for screenwriters. Nor am I commenting on the contest which clearly benefits many writers. I am stating my concern only about this clause in the rules which I feel is more open ended than is appropriate.

Back