buy which camera...

I just start film making, and I am editor. I intend to shoot my own video with my own camera. I got review some of the video camera, which are Sony NEX-VG10 and Panasonic AG-HVX202. They are too expensive and many people recommend me to get a DSLR to shoot videos, even the camera merchant do so. If for DSLR, I am more interested in Canon 7D, Canon 5D Mark2, or Nikon D7000, but my friend recommend me Canon 1100D due to budget.

Therefore I need some advice. I am saving money for more decent camera like Sony NEX-VG10, Canon 7D or Nikon D7000, but if it seem pretty good if I get cheaper DSLR like Canon 1100D and get some great accessories to support it. So which one would be better?

I just start film making, and I am editor. I intend to shoot my own video with my own camera. I got review some of the video camera, which are Sony NEX-VG10 and Panasonic AG-HVX202. They are too expensive and many people recommend me to get a DSLR to shoot videos

I'm going to buck the trend and recommend you do NOT get a DSLR.

If you were an experienced filmmaker, then a DSLR might be a good choice. Since you are just beginning, you'd be diving in at the deep end without knowing how to swim. For one thing, with a DSLR you're going to have to learn all the technical intricacies of photography right off the bat, whereas with a camcorder you can just switch everything to automatic, freeing you up to just learn how to shoot video. Focus with a DSLR is critical so, again, you're going to be dealing with that issue when you should be concentrating on learning the basics. Sound is another big issue. From what I've heard, the sound capabilities of DSLR cameras are marginal at best. Are you going to buy a bunch of sound recording equipment and find someone to operate it while you shoot? If so, there goes any cost savings you might have enjoyed.

Just my opinion. $2000 for the Sony is not a bad price at all, in my eyes.

Back