building a PC editing computer...

Hi all,

I searched for this topic in the forums, and found some posts that were a few years old. So, I wanted to get some advice for building a computer that's capable of editing HD video. I own a Canon Vixia HV30, and my current computer specs are as follows

AMD Athlon 64 - 2.2ghz
3.5gig ram
sound blaster audiogy
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT/OC
180gig Hard Drive

- Essentially, it's a couple year old Compaq I've upgraded over the years.

Editing Software
- Pinnacle Ultimate 12
- Adober Elements 3

So far it's running fairly well, considering its age. But, when I try to edit in HD, it gets so slow that it's hard to edit. I'm fairly confident I can build a better PC stricly for video editing, but need advice on what sort of specs I'll need to handle HD editing. I'm not planning on editing projects any longer than 25-30 minutes (short films, video documentaries, etc). Any help would be great!

Hey Porgep have you considered getting a MAC? I was in your situation about 3 months ago and after a bit of research i found out that the editing industry was definitely running down final cut avenue. I got a mac pro and have been impressed to say the least. Even with out the great editing tools and system cooperation I wouldn't go back to PC any time soon.

I don't think I can afford a mac, they seem so much expensive. I've built pretty much all the PCs I've owned, and was planning on doing the same. I have considered a Mac, but I'm not 100 percent sold on it yet.

The specs of your system should be just fine for editing HDV... it will be a little slower than working with SD footage, but should still be very doable.

Are you working with 24p footage, or regular 30fps interlaced footage? What is your current workflow for editing HDV footage? Are you using the pulldown.exe utility?

You might want to check out the tools available from cineform... Specifically Neo HDV... (There's a free 15 day demo)

I really can't speak highly enough about cineform.. it will (or certainly SHOULD) help you with your editing issues. I'd say give the demo a test drive and see how things change, and if that's still not enough then you've got other issues -- could be the editiing software, could be the computer needs a bit of a tune up, etc..

Cool, I'll check out cineform, thanks!

I'm shooting 30p for now, but plan to do 24p for short films. Also, I'm not exactly sure how much of a benefit HD is over SD, at least for the severely entry level work i'm doing :)

It gives you a lot more resolution to work with... framing not quite right in a shot? No worries, digitally zoom in and adjust.. If the final output is standard definition, keeping the footage in high def all the way until the final output gives you a clarity you simply can't achieve with standard definition footage.

So, yeah, there's certainly a benefit.. ;)

By the time you've spent lots of money to get your PC to the right spec. and you've paid for some really good Non-Linear Editing software,

You could have bought a Mac and Final Cut.

(You could buy both on ebay for very little money!)

The BBC use Final Cut !!!

Hope this helps.

Regards, Tony

--:)

Last edited:
I get that mac people really heart their apples... but damn. When someone is clearly a PC person, has "built every PC they own" etc.. why do you try to convert them?

A mac isn't a BETTER tool. It's a different tool, and while it may be a better fit for you, it's not necessarily the better fit for everyone.

I am comparing two quotations for having a box built especially for Non Linear Editing, with that of a Dell desktop with required specifications.

I don't have a technical background, so it is hard for me to say what you have is good enough or not. But, a quick read seems to indicate that it approximates my own box, except that I have currently included a RAID system (2 hard drives)

Of course, it was, is & only considered for a PC.

Get a Mac! Seriously. You can't accuse me of being a Mac snob since I own a PC ;)
PCs are good for the Internet. Get a Mac and don't connect to the Net with it. Keep it clean. You will be happy.

Back