Building a Computer for Video Editing

Here is what I have picked out right now, feel free to give me suggestions or critiques. (This computer will be used primarily for video/sound editing, music recording, and writing)

Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (I will eventually get four of these, as the motherboard is capable of linking them all together, and essentially giving me a quad-core video card)

Power Supply: CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX

Hard Drive for OS: Mushkin Enhanced MKNSSDCR120GB-DX7 2.5" 120GB SATA III 7mm Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard Drive for Storage: Western Digital Red WD20EFRX 2TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL

Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro series H50 High Performance CPU Cooler

I plan on getting it in February.

How much do you plan spending?

I would go for an ASUS P8Z77-V (perhaps V-Deluxe) motherboard, and an Intel i7-3770k CPU, video encoding/rendering will work a bit better with this set up, since the 3770k is slightly better than the FX-8350.

Last edited:
The Intel i7-3770k CPU as Nicwillu said will give you about a 5% bump in maximum CPU performance, which will help when you're outputting video. The Intel I7-3970 would give you about a 50% bump in CPU performance but at a hefty price bump too or go all out and get an Intel Xeon E5-2690.

This all being said, it depends on what kind of stuff you'll be editing and how often you'll be using it for that. It'll be overkill if all you're doing is editing your 1080p home videos. If you're doing 4k resolution projects, you're probably going to struggle.

As for recommendations for your video card, it does depend on what software you're going to use. There's at least one piece of software that requires specific video cards otherwise it'll only use your cpu to encode/render.

So long as your 560 is compatible, it represents decent bang for your buck with your gtx 680 being one of the faster options.

For the hard drives, this again depends on what you want to achieve but you'll get a significant performance boost from getting a few larger SSD's and put them in a raid 0 instead of using a standard sata3 drive. It depends on your budget and uses.

Your requirements are going to change if you're making feature films or shorts/music videos.

In the US, you should be able to build a monster system with $1.5k.

You should also pay attention to how many monitors you want. I personally prefer multiple monitors. Though I only have 2, I'd prefer 4 monitors.

You should get at least 2 screens, one for let's say a preview screen, and the other one for the editing. Or have 2 editings programs on each screen, you get a nicer overview.

Back