• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Broken Dreams

This is a short I put together of shots taken in my soon to be remodeled upstairs. It was low light when I shot and I had the camera set to auto ISO. Some shots came out alright, others were pretty grainy, but I'm guessing a few were at about 3200 ISO. So I did my best to hide noise since there does not seem to be a de-noise plugin in sony vegas pro 10? If there is, let me know! ha, thanks for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGfESXTS_M

Most at 3200 ISO? Depends on what your aperture was set at. Actually, I didn't easily notice any graininess. Nevertheless, I don't recommend auto-anything. Only in truly desperate times should you even consider using higher than 1600 ISO (that's already high). Opening up your aperture should always be your first step, in my opinion.

That being said, cool imagery. As I mentioned, I didn't notice any grain; actually, it was white-balance that kinda threw me off.

I dont know man I think it looks fine...
I use 800 and I still get WAY too much noise for comfort ... what am I doing wrong? I cant get a black thats NOT noisy.. ??

I dont know man I think it looks fine...
I use 800 and I still get WAY too much noise for comfort ... what am I doing wrong? I cant get a black thats NOT noisy.. ??

The native ISO's may help to a degree with Magic Lantern - you'd go from 640-1250 - but ISO is just a gain increment and I haven't found anything but a denoiser plug-in that does the job with decent results.

Those are my findings, anyhow.

I feel a bit cheated by the whole ISO thing.. Like you say, it sure seems to be just like GAIN on my canon video camera. I turned gain OFF on that camera and never looked at the setting again. Sucked in low light, etc, but I had no noise.

Yeah, I forgot to change the text at the end from Most to a few. I had rendered this out three times removing clips that just didn't fit in my eyes. A couple of those were definitely 3200 ISO. I guess in my eyes, I think its important for someone to understand noise in video and how to correct it. I would think that at some point in everyone's indie carrier there is going to be a shot where there is no getting around noise. So if you already know how to remove it or hide it your just that much more prepared. So this was a test to see in which ways I could do just that. Thanks for the comments. :)

Once again, very interesting. It was pretty cold up there though :) I will make a theory as to why the cold/frozen camera had less noise. My assumption is that when frozen, the small crystals that probably form on the sensor act as very small magnifying glasses, so rather than light only striking at one spot at its current light temperature, its gathered from different angles and increases its luminosity on that spot. Resulting in more light total per sensor pixel. How does that sound? :)

Once again, very interesting. It was pretty cold up there though :) I will make a theory as to why the cold/frozen camera had less noise. My assumption is that when frozen, the small crystals that probably form on the sensor act as very small magnifying glasses, so rather than light only striking at one spot at its current light temperature, its gathered from different angles and increases its luminosity on that spot. Resulting in more light total per sensor pixel. How does that sound? :)

If there are ice crystals forming on the sensor then it must have got water on it, which will definitely not improve its optical performance.

If there are ice crystals forming on the sensor then it must have got water on it, which will definitely not improve its optical performance.

Haha, I would never freeze my camera, but I would think in that sense it could make a difference. Kinda like when you go swimming on a sunny day. Your sun burn will be much worse if your skin has water on or around it. But fixing noise for me is just hiding it for now. Or avoiding it in the future. ;)

Back