• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Booming in on ultra wide shots

If all you shoot is the wide, then wireless lavs, plant mics, wild lines or ADR, are your only choices. If you are also getting coverage with closeups, you can boom those and use the closeup audio for the wides. Typically, if the shot is wide,it's hard to see the details of the mouth so the boomed closeups should work. The example you showed was either a dolly or zoomed push in, so in this example, I would say it was either laved, wild lines, or ADR.

After you have your shot , the take you love. STOP! get everyone back to first position and let the boom operator get right in with the actors, yes, on camera. Run the scene 2 more times just like the one you just shot. This will give you 2 more great sound takes that you can use in post... The actors will still be in the right frame of mind, the timing will be very close and the sound guy and do his, or her, thing and not have to worry about "frame"....

heck shoot it anyway, and you've got some great "behind-the-scenes" footage... ;)
cheers
geo

Thanks, dubbing wide shots with different audio takes makes sense. It's gonna need a little bit more work on my part since I was planing to let them improvise the opening shot. Guess not :D.

Back