Bluescreen + Tarp, can I make this work?

Hi everyone! Josh here. So I'm trying to get a bluescreen in my studio to use as a floor (cheap + flexible = :D). I heard about a technicque using a blue tarp, which has gromets in the sides and can be nailed into the floor to stretch and prevent crinkling. So I went out a bought one and wouldn't ya know it's really shiny, which is terrible for chroma key. I'm wondering if I could get any sort of anti reflective spray that I could smear on the thing to make it stop reflecting the lights. If so where would be a good place to look for something like that? Thanks!

Fabric store, blue fabric would end up about the same price as tarp + treatments and start out matte.
You can use rope sewn into the edge and grommets for lacing/stretching it out. This will allow you to custom fit it to your space / whatever frame you can make as well.

You could try "dull coat" but even a matte finish is going to reflect. cause of the shape of the surface.

Be sure to try a rotating polarizing filter. It can really help with REFLECTED light..

I've found that bright poster-board like you would use in a school project works really well for keying. Just make sure you tape the seams really close and straight, and get everything laid down flat.

They do have a tendency to get dirty and lose their flatness after a week or so, so it's not a permanent-studio kind of set-up. BUT, they are so cheap, if you're setting it up for one project it's really perfect.

Back