Blu ray v HD-DVD?

So guys thoughts... which is the better format?

I watched Rocky 6 on Blu-Ray on a 1080i Philips TV through a PS3 and to me it seemed that when it is native (ie shot HD) the quaility was gob smacking. Otherwise it was impressive but HD-DVD seemed to be the more robust, consistant format (Serenity was outstanding - again XBOX360 playing HD-DVD drive)

So which is better and will either format win...

Anyone else?

Regarding the quality differences between HD-DVD and Blu-ray:
That is not an isue of the medium (both of them are perfectly capable of delivering good quality) but an authoring problem only. If the authoring studio makes bad encodings or uses bad sources or even does an up-rez only there's no wonder you see badly compressed images. Just remember the Fifth Element DVD - it was one of the first to be on DVD and it looked horrible. Seems they tried the same with it on Blu-ray...

Regarding the quality differences between HD-DVD and Blu-ray:
That is not an isue of the medium (both of them are perfectly capable of delivering good quality) but an authoring problem only. If the authoring studio makes bad encodings or uses bad sources or even does an up-rez only there's no wonder you see badly compressed images. Just remember the Fifth Element DVD - it was one of the first to be on DVD and it looked horrible. Seems they tried the same with it on Blu-ray...

They did, but the remastered edition hit the shelves in July. I have that version. The remastered disc has a Dolby True HD audio track. Sony offered a free exhange for those who got the crappy edition.

I suspect we'll be stuck with both formats for awhile. 20th Century Fox and MGM reiterated their support for Blu-ray yesterday, with 29 new titles planned by the end of the year:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/pressrelease_fox2007bluray.html

I will no doubt have an HD-DVD player to compliment my PS3 by Christmas if this trend continues.

Last edited:
Back to the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing...

Blu-Ray is the wiser choice since it is capable of holding significantly MORE data than HD-DVD. At this point, its all a matter of what codec they're encoding the movies in and what the bitrate is. Why Blu-Ray looks like ass sometimes is beyond me. I've seen both formats go both ways. I blame idiocy. :)

Back to the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing...

Blu-Ray is the wiser choice since it is capable of holding significantly MORE data than HD-DVD. At this point, its all a matter of what codec they're encoding the movies in and what the bitrate is. Why Blu-Ray looks like ass sometimes is beyond me. I've seen both formats go both ways. I blame idiocy. :)

I guess you missed the other thread. HD-DVD is just about dead and buried now.

And I have both formats now, and I can tell you there is no visible quality difference in any of the movies I've watched so far. Transformers on HD-DVD looks and sounds just as good as Spiderman 3 on Blu-ray. You're right. It's about the encoding. Blu-ray may be higher capacity and higher bitrate capable, but they're not really doing much extra to take advantage of it yet. They only as of October 31st got to BD-J 1.1 where they finally have mandatory functionality that HD-DVD had for awhile already.

More up to date discssion here:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=11937

Blu ray is by far the worst format. But Sony had to win one eventually!!!

I don't know if it's the worst format. What I don't like about Blu-Ray is all the different profiles. First we had 1.0, now 1.1 and later this summer 2.0 is coming out. Then there is the security: BR vs BR+. The current budget players are all profile 1.0 and can't be upgraded. The moderate and expensive players are profile 1.1 which also can't be upgraded. The only upgradeable and player is the PS3 which is why I ended up buying one to replace the HD-DVD player.

Is it really over though? The high-def market isn't very large and DVD sales are larger than both formats. I hope HD DVD can pull through, because despite less disc space it delivers the same quality and has cheaper players. If the point of blu-ray's larger disc size is to have everything on one disc, why is Superbad on two?

Back