Blackmagic Pocket Camera

Hey folks.

I got my hands on the BMPC and at that point for the work that I do 13 stops of dynamic range is amazing for me .

I always try to go for the cinematic look and I always try to improve my cinematography , but getting certain shots with T2i is just hard or impossible .

I was wondering when can I order the BMPC ? Is it officially released ?

What lenses can I use with it and what lens will you recommend ?

Any feedback on the camera is more than welcome.

Hey folks.

I got my hands on the BMPC and at that point for the work that I do 13 stops of dynamic range is amazing for me .

I always try to go for the cinematic look and I always try to improve my cinematography , but getting certain shots with T2i is just hard or impossible .

I was wondering when can I order the BMPC ? Is it officially released ?

What lenses can I use with it and what lens will you recommend ?

Any feedback on the camera is more than welcome.

It's out already although good luck finding stock.

Battery life sucks, you need at least 6 batteries, the SD cards I believe need to be 95mb/s, there is no raw (source from PB) yet, it only records Prores at this time, which you might think is good but I have started to hear lots of gamma issues with the codec, DNxHD is better.

Sensor is small, you need a really fast lens to get good shallow depth of field but it won't be same as DSLR.

It's early days for the camera... But why go for that camera why not the bmcc? It's cheaper now ? Has 2.5k so surely a more worthy purchase?

it only records Prores at this time, which you might think is good but I have started to hear lots of gamma issues with the codec, DNxHD is better.

Is this something you've heard specific to the pocket cam, or just in general? I've used both prores and dnxhd and there's very little difference between them.

It's out already although good luck finding stock.

Battery life sucks, you need at least 6 batteries, the SD cards I believe need to be 95mb/s, there is no raw (source from PB) yet, it only records Prores at this time, which you might think is good but I have started to hear lots of gamma issues with the codec, DNxHD is better.

Sensor is small, you need a really fast lens to get good shallow depth of field but it won't be same as DSLR.

It's early days for the camera... But why go for that camera why not the bmcc? It's cheaper now ? Has 2.5k so surely a more worthy purchase?

I can't go for BMCC simply because I don't have the money for it :( .

I feel like I've covered this...

it only records Prores at this time, which you might think is good but I have started to hear lots of gamma issues with the codec, DNxHD is better.
As IDOM mentions, DNxHD and ProRes are pretty much the same - there's a negligible difference. There can be gamma issues in Quicktime itself, present mostly when outputting, but the ProRes codec is pretty strong. The gamma of the files can be recorded in Blackmagic's version of Log, maybe that's what you're calling an 'issue'?

ProRes is more than enough for anybody's use. Most times when shooting Alexa, I shoot 2k ProRes 4444 Log internally. ProRes 422HQ is not that huge of a step down from 4444, and I shoot it if I have to shoot above 40fps.

Haha, when DSLRs first became a 'thing' everyone was talking about how 'huge' the sensor was allowing such cinematic DOF, now people are saying S16 is small?
Plenty of incredible movies, TV shows and documentaries shot on S16 with super shallow DOF. Any lens at <T2.8 is going to be relatively shallow. You're not going to be able to get the same DOF for the same FOV compared to your 35mm sensors, but so what?

It's early days for the camera... But why go for that camera why not the bmcc? It's cheaper now ?
Has 2.5k so surely a more worthy purchase?
How is it any more worthy? It's slightly more resolution than the Pocket Cam, none of which is really useable, as 99% of the time you'll be mastering in HD, or maybe 2k. S16 glass vignettes on it, so you have to use 35mm glass, or crop down to 2k anyway.

To me, the Pocket cam makes more sense than the BMCC. Tbh, the Production cam makes more sense as a purchase than the BMCC, at least IMO.

Back