Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Really, really like the look of this. I know not many people have actually received their orders due to production delays, but from the footage I've seen, for the money ($2k-ish for body), this is an amazing camera and with relatively inexpensive glass can produce an image that would rival a RED Scarlet. It can capture images at 2.5k resolution in RAW format (and ProRes).

I'm particularly interested in the newer micro four-thirds version that is soon to be released, although the only drawback for that is that it's a dumb mount (i.e. the on screen electronic controls won't work with the lenses....yet) and it's manual only which isn't a major issue.

Anyone ordered one or seriously considering one?

Last edited:
I can understand why a lot of the Blackmagic camera features or lack thereof can turn people away, but for me, someone who's never been a camera nerd, at the end of the day all I care about is image quality.

My cinematographer has purchased all the necessary bells and whistles to make things run smoothly on set, and I love that it shoots straight to prores. My workflow could not be easier.

When it comes down to it, you won't find a better looking image at this price point on the market right now (although it's technically not even on the market yet). Hopefully other camera companies will copy and improve on what Blackmagic is trying to do.

:)

Back