Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Really, really like the look of this. I know not many people have actually received their orders due to production delays, but from the footage I've seen, for the money ($2k-ish for body), this is an amazing camera and with relatively inexpensive glass can produce an image that would rival a RED Scarlet. It can capture images at 2.5k resolution in RAW format (and ProRes).

I'm particularly interested in the newer micro four-thirds version that is soon to be released, although the only drawback for that is that it's a dumb mount (i.e. the on screen electronic controls won't work with the lenses....yet) and it's manual only which isn't a major issue.

Anyone ordered one or seriously considering one?

Last edited:
I have one. Shooting my feature with it. Could not be more excited about the image quality, but Blackmagic is having serious production delays. Pre orders are backed up pretty bad so don't expect to get one any time soon.

I had to pay a higher price to buy a camera from one of the lucky ones who received it early on.

This camera and any others with similar specs coming out soon will render DLSRs obsolete.

Last edited:
For a game changer it is sure having a lot of issues. As of November it was not working with the following Canon lenses...

35mm_f1.4L(aperture not working)
85mmf1.2L(aperture or focus not working)
24-70mm_F2.8L(v1 aperture not working)

I think DSLRs are safe for the time being.

better off saving for the red

$20k for the cheapest RED with basic lens and accesories

versus..

$3k/$4k for a BMCC with a fairly decent lens and accesories with VERY similar quality to the Scarlet (obviously not at 4k res..).

I think I know what I'm going for. The RED Scarlet is slightly better quality (and packs 4k res) but definately does NOT justify the extra $16k..

For a game changer it is sure having a lot of issues. As of November it was not working with the following Canon lenses...

35mm_f1.4L(aperture not working)
85mmf1.2L(aperture or focus not working)
24-70mm_F2.8L(v1 aperture not working)

I think DSLRs are safe for the time being.

Where are those issues being reported? I'll definately be going for the micro four-thirds model regardless which is completely manual as for now anyway so this will probably just be an issue for the EF version.

Bmcc right now is not ready as a camera it's lacking features, also if memory serves its not even full frame? Saving for a red does make sense because I can Loan that baby out for £'s a day and eventually make a quick return.

So unless it goes down in price like the red has.. Then I don't need it as a permenant purchase

*edit

I'd actually go for the canon c300 or Sony fs100

Last edited:
The BMCC is not a game changer in the slightest. It's perhaps a slightly higher-quality replacement for a 5D at the same price.

It lacks a number of things and its form factor is annoying, to say the least.

It gives nice images, sure, but not all that much better than a 5D in the right hands. I'd certainly use it over a 5D every time if given the choice.

m4/3 is not a dumb mount at all - in fact it's a great mount choice. It means you can whack on an adapter and stick on any lens you like. It means you can throw on PL mount lenses. In fact, you could shoot ProRes with S16 lenses (like Zeiss Ultra16s) relatively cheaply. The smaller sensor doesn't really have anything to do with anything, especially if using S16 lenses.

Or you could rent Cooke s4's and use them, which would also look lovely.

But, I'll believe it when I see it.. RED had issues when they first shipped as well, and the RED One is not the most stable camera of all time.

Jax, by the way, what is your favorite existent digital camera that you'd prefer to work with, supposing money or access were not problems?

I don't know. After watching Philip Bloom's review, I was left feeling, well, yeah, if I had to have the 2.5k on a low budget, then I guess I'd be all about it. But, damn, working with it does not sound very fun. For one thing, no interchangeable battery? Yeah, yeah... there's a third party solution. But if I were developing a camera (fat chance of that, and let's face it, I'm about as far away from being an engineer as you can get), it's difficult for me to imagine saying, hell yeah, let's not give it that...people can buy an accessory thingy, if they want that. Seems like a fumble to me. Then again, I'm obviously not hard core, so, there ya go.

Apart from the 2.5k, I guess I don't really see how the Blackmagic camera should out charm the GH3 for low budget indie filmmakers...something like the GH3 seeming, to me anyway, to be a much more refined and total package --and more affordable.

Is it the much touted dynamic range? Is it really worth the inconveniences?

Well, shouldn't be negative about their camera. I suppose they're the equivalent of indie filmmakers in the camera making business, so we should support them. Sounds like they'll be refining their camera and it'll be great.

Jax, by the way, what is your favorite existent digital camera that you'd prefer to work with, supposing money or access were not problems?
Alexa, for sure ;) It's funny, a company that's been making cameras for nearly 100 years comes makes a camera that actually works, and everyone is surprised :P

I should say; all digital cameras work, just that the Alexa is designed from a place of experience, and knowledge about what is wanted and needed in a camera system, in particular a digital system. I prefer the image out of it and general operation a lot more to the image out of a RED, although that's probably because I am partial to the look of film. If I wasn't, maybe I'd enjoy the look of RED - certainly there are those that truly believe that RED give the greatest images.

At the end of the day, I've shot on nearly every major format, from film to DSLR and whilst it's great to have a high-end format, you can still get nice images out of a 5D if you know how to work it. Similarly, you can get crap images out of an Alexa if you don't know how to work it.

Too much importance these days is put on the camera body itself. Yes, the camera body is an important choice, but it is not the decider of a great film. I'll fight to get higher end cameras because I like the images out of certain cameras, I like the workflow and operation of certain cameras, and generally I like to push for a certain camera or format that supports the story. At the end of the day though you can still get a nice image out of just about any camera, and when you're not working with Hollywood budgets, you often have to compromise on the camera format (though it's nice when you don't ;)). As an example, I was discussing with a Director how much S16 with 70's Cooke lenses would simply lift a film we were shooting to another level. Didn't have the budget, so went with 5D and Compact Primes. Still looks great, still works well as movie. Would it look better on S16? Yeah. Does it look bad on a 5D? Not in the least.
Everything that happens in front of the lens mount (including the lens) is much more important than the camera itself.

But, damn, working with it does not sound very fun. For one thing, no interchangeable battery? Yeah, yeah... there's a third party solution. But if I were developing a camera (fat chance of that, and let's face it, I'm about as far away from being an engineer as you can get), it's difficult for me to imagine saying, hell yeah, let's not give it that...people can buy an accessory thingy, if they want that. Seems like a fumble to me. Then again, I'm obviously not hard core, so, there ya go.
These kind of issues arise from the fact that Blackmagic are a) using cheap off the shelf parts to keep the cost down (part of the reason they're having such issues in the manufacturing) and b) are used to working on breakout boxes and the like which are designed to sit on your desk forever. I see the BMCC as their RED One equivalent - a new camera system from a company that's never made cameras before, with a whole lot of faults, but people will shoot on it because it's raw at a high spatial resolution.

Just like the Epic and Scarlet are mich better cameras than the 'One', I think BMCC 2.0 will be much more feasible than the 1.0.

That's not to say it's a bad camera, I've seen it intercut with Alexa footage, and most avergae Joe's probably couldn't tell you which was which. It certainly gives you a decent image, and it's now a low-low-budget option that I can suggest instead of a 5D that will allow shooting without the ridiculous compression, and a bit of a nicer image. Does come at the cost of some weird workarounds though..

Last edited:
It has some good qualities, but not going to sell my 5D and run out to buy one. Maybe 2 or 3 generations down the road. The workflow seems like a complete PIA. Also not crazy about the S16 sized sensor. I'm not big on "owning" cameras anyway. If I'm shooting a feature I'm likely to rent the camera.

To be honest, I'm not hugely impressed by the way the BMCC has launched. It's a decent camera but there are obvious flaws in the design with mean that the start price is deceptively low. But, for me, my main concern would be that, if there was an issue, how long would repair take? They don't seem to be organised at all on that front.

To be honest, I'm not hugely impressed by the way the BMCC has launched. It's a decent camera but there are obvious flaws in the design with mean that the start price is deceptively low. But, for me, my main concern would be that, if there was an issue, how long would repair take? They don't seem to be organised at all on that front.

Yep. A couple generations from now, especially with an S35 sensor, better workflow, removable battery, etc... (at probably more like 4K or 5K) it would be more appealing.

That means the $2000 price is bogus. The body only price is $2000 PLUS whatever the battery solution costs.

Actually, the body-only price is really $3,000 - not sure where the $2k number is coming from, unless you're discounting the cost of the included copy of Resolve, but that's still money out of pocket up front.

And it's not like the lenses for this camera are going to cost significantly less than those for any DSLR. Yes, you can get cheap ones - but you'll still get what you pay for. In fact with the lack of line-skipping that most DSLRs use I'd expect that the BMCC would benefit even more from higher-end lenses than most DSLRs do for video. I'd be surprised if most people using this camera for serious work don't invest more in glass than the body itself, even if they are just renting cinema lenses.

Last edited:
The BMCC is not a game changer in the slightest. It's perhaps a slightly higher-quality replacement for a 5D at the same price.

It lacks a number of things and its form factor is annoying, to say the least.

It gives nice images, sure, but not all that much better than a 5D in the right hands. I'd certainly use it over a 5D every time if given the choice.

Interesting comparison of the two here:

http://us.gizmodo.com/5945408/watch...ra-crush-the-canon-5d-mark-iiis-video-quality

Back