Bizarre Juxtiposition in Music Videos

I am directing a music video at the end of the month. I am collaborating with a great cinemetographer who has some epic ideas for shots and locations and how he wants to use the Movi he has managed to get hold of.

I have a vision that the artist is on board with as an overarching theme, which fits perfectly with lyrics and the meaning the musician had when writing the track. So that's all good.

I really want to give as much freedom to the DP to express himself creatively but I am struggling to combine his ideas with that of the overall theme and perhaps more importantly the track itself!

Part of me thinks does it even mater that we intercut between unrelated scenes if it adds engagement, it's a music video. The director side of me wants to bring it all together in to a cohesive whole so that everything has some symbolism and meaning to the bigger picture.

This is probably quite a common dilemma between director and dp. Narratives vs Visuals.

I am really keen to have a loose grip on the project and just course correct if I feel it needs it. We have the intention behind the concept though, perhaps I just need to express that more to the dp but I don't want to constrain his creative process.

What are your thoughts? Do you think bizarre juxtipositions work in music videos, like time jumps between day and night, intercuts that have no revelance to the theme, beyond adding energy and dynamism?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, especially if you can relate to that creative working partnership...

Visual storytelling is a collaborative effort and good on you to have such great consideration with your workmate here, the DP. But collaboration does need a purpose, a goal, some direction if the work is to head anywhere, have meaning or even for you to know when you are done.

At best it could be that you, the DP and the musician are still feeling your way around the material and trying to see the story. That's cool but even in that case there needs to be one main voice that steers the creative process and that responsibility falls on the director. This does not mean that the director has to have it all their way (as that is anything but collaborative) but they have to manage their vision and the expectations of their working partners to get the job done.

At worse this could be a case of "too many cooks spoiling the soup".

You're the director and it sounds like the artist is on board with your vision of the video so work with your DP and give them all the creative freedom to enrich that vision, share it and trust in it. Or you can go with what the DP wants just pick a direction and work towards it. Yes it's a music video and there is a ton of freedom to do whatever but that doesn't mean it has to be a bad music video.

I hope this helped.

Last edited:
Thanks Kosh, I have learned lessons from past faliures when I micromanaged everything, my way or the highway type thing. Also the DP is a lot more experienced than I am so trust in his judgement is a given. He is also massively enthusiastic about the project which is fantastic.

There is a middle ground I am sure. I am editing so the final creative decision will be with me, the artist has given me freedom there, so shouldn't end up "elephant by design".

It's a bit of a balancing act, captaining the ship but giving your first mate a go at the wheel. You are right though, it is my job to make sure it fits with the overall vision for the track.

Back