news Billy Eichner’s ‘Bros’ Almost Included a $30,000 ‘Butt Rig’ Sex Toy for Cut Rim Job Scene

Sure, Harry Styles may know that queer sex is “tender” but Billy Eichner’s “Bros” didn’t want to hold back on the hilarity of sex toys.

Billy Eichner’s “Bros” made history as the first big-budget gay rom-com studio film with an entirely queer cast, and of course the gay sex scene had to be equally as ground (bed?) breaking. Bobby (Eichner) and love interest Aaron (Luke Macfarlane) explore their sexual quirks in a scene that includes “physical comedy” like Macfarlane’s “entire fist” in Eichner’s mouth.

“Sex can be funny, awkward, silly, and absurd, but also romantic and sweet, but it also serves the story, because the sex that these guys have, it evolves over the course of the movie as their relationship becomes more intimate and vulnerable,” Eichner told Entertainment Weekly. “Both of these guys are trying so hard to be strong at the beginning of the movie, and I say at the end of the movie that I’m sick of being angry and I’m sick of being strong, and we watch that story unfold — sex is part of that.”

Yet one scene within the sequence that was cut involved a “$30,000 butt rig” that director Nicholas Stoller confirmed Macfarlane “goes down on.” Macfarlane attempted to put the whole rig in his mouth while “two puppeteers” operated it.

“We were going to shoot a rim job moment, but then ‘White Lotus’ beat us to the punch, so we cut that,” Eichner said.

Eichner added that the focus groups for the rom-com agreed with the humor onscreen.

“We had one young, straight, twenty-something guy in Chicago at a focus group,” Eichner recalled. “I asked him, ‘What’d you think of the sex scenes between me and Luke?’ They’re mostly played for physical comedy, and he said, ‘It kind of reminded me of ‘Jackass.’ It made me uncomfortable, but it was so hilarious. I didn’t care, it was just funny.’ I thought that was heartwarming and endearing….if it’s funny, they embrace it.”

“Bros” opened to strong reviews but a lackluster box office, drawing only $4.8 million opening weekend. Co-writer Eichner called out the lack of audiences showing up in theaters as “homophobic,” especially in “certain parts of the country.”

“Everyone who ISN’T a homophobic weirdo should go see BROS tonight! You will have a blast! And it is special and uniquely powerful to see this particular story on a big screen, esp for queer folks who don’t get this opportunity often. I love this movie so much. GO BROS!!!,” Eichner tweeted.

Billy Eichner’s “Bros” made history as the first big-budget gay rom-com studio film with an entirely queer cast

Whaaaat are you fucking serious, I can't imagine being so proud of heterophobic hiring practices, what a bigot.
No wonder this movie tanked so hard. A gay man of all people should understand the importance of inclusivity.

At least have ONE token straight person for christ sakes, the fact that straight people have literally zero representation is this film makes it a no fucking brainer that they didn't go out to see it. Give him a straight roommate or something, having bill murray as a roommate in tootsie took the movie to another level.

Last edited:
Whaaaat are you fucking serious, I can't imagine being so proud of heterophobic hiring practices, what a bigot.
No wonder this movie tanked so hard. A gay man of all people should understand the importance of inclusivity.

At least have ONE token straight person for christ sakes, the fact that straight people have literally zero representation is this film makes it a no fucking brainer that they didn't go out to see it. Give him a straight roommate or something, having bill murray as a roommate in tootsie took the movie to another level.
Reading "heterophobic", "straight people have literally zero representation in this film" and "token straight person" made me feel like I was back on Facebook! That was a good read.

Reading "heterophobic", "straight people have literally zero representation in this film" and "token straight person" made me feel like I was back on Facebook! That was a good read.
Sounds like you know some really smart people on facebook, its a bone headed move to so dramatically reduce your available talent pool in a major film. who gives a fuck about someones private sex life if they are an actor with the best performance, this kind of crap deserves to lose its money

Last edited:
Sounds like you know some really smart people on facebook, its a bone headed move to so dramatically reduce your available talent pool in a major film. who gives a fuck about someones private sex life if they are an actor with the best performance, this kind of crap deserves to lose its money
I agree that real life sexual orientation shouldn't factor in whether or not you get a role. From a marketing standpoint, it probably did way more harm than good. I just don't understand the anger towards "bigotry"? Dude made a gay movie and wanted gay people in it, and it failed. The upset tone of your comment is what I enjoyed, and gave me the Uncle Billy on Facebook vibes. I just enjoy that particular brand of outrage. No straight people missed out on jobs this year.

I agree that real life sexual orientation shouldn't factor in whether or not you get a role. From a marketing standpoint, it probably did way more harm than good. I just don't understand the anger towards "bigotry"? Dude made a gay movie and wanted gay people in it, and it failed. The upset tone of your comment is what I enjoyed, and gave me the Uncle Billy on Facebook vibes. I just enjoy that particular brand of outrage. No straight people missed out on jobs this year.
I'm outraged by the stupidity of it lol how on earth someone can make a movie and then completely 100% exclude the largest demographic of ticketbuyers in the country is just beyond me.

Last edited:
But if they hadn't said that everyone in the cast and crew is gay, we never would have known the difference.

I'll probably watch it on streaming (there are other things I'm more interested in seeing in theaters) but the fact that there were no straight people involved has 0 impact on whether I see it or not.

But if they hadn't said that everyone in the cast and crew is gay, we never would have known the difference.

If anything changed ever in history, you would never know the difference.
But it WOULD be different, absolutely different, if for example he had bill murray as a roommate in the film.

Not because bill murray is straight, but bc he's fucking bill murray, ya know? It would have an impact on everyones enjoyment.
some of the funniest people on the planet are straight and they were all excluded just bc of their sex life, I can only assume if their priority were to make the best film, instead of the priority is to pander to the gay demographic, then the movie would have been more enjoyable for me.

I suspect Bill Murray would cost as much as the entire cast got paid.

And I see it as more a matter of pride than pandering.

Given that it has a 90% rating with critics on Rotten Tomatoes & 91% with audiences, it doesn't seem like the quality of the movie is the issue.
And if people won't see it only because it has an all gay cast & crew, perhaps that's more an example of prejudice than anything else.

Rotten Tomatoes

Last edited:

And I see it as more a matter of pride than pandering.
Ah yes ... but then... how much extra money would the movie have made compared to this abysmal performance?
We'll never know, but if I invested my money with someone and they were letting pride guide their business decisions i would be livid

Last edited:
Check this out, a new movie on apple TV

Says they paid bill murray 600,000

Says they paid bill murray 600,000
I'm skeptical.

But look, people (hopefully) make the movie they want to make. With a budget of $22 mil, I'm sure Bros will make back their money & more. And they used the people they wanted to use. In my book, hats off to them for doing it their way.

With an audience score of 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, it certainly seems like those who see it like it. And if others don't see it because it's gay actors and crew, maybe the quality of the movie isn't the problem.

Last edited:
With a budget of $22 mil, I'm sure Bros will make back their money & more.

Is it really that easy to be profitable? you can exclude the largest demographic in the country, bomb at the box office and still make all your money back and more? I didn't know this business was so easy to succeed. Just takes a little seed money and you don't even need movie stars interesting

It made $6.4 mil in just the US Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 5.23.53 PM.png & Canada theatrically in the first 7 days, so yeah I think they'll do just fine.. And maybe not every straight person in the world is avoiding it.

Personally, I am avoiding it. There was a moment when I might have considered watching it, the way I consider watching any film, but the second some clown tells the world his film is failing because straight people who are homophobes won't get with the program and go see it and that's why it isn't doing well. "It's all their fault!!!!", then I will NEVER see it. FUCK them.... isn't that right, sfoster?
icon_explode.gif

It made $6.4 mil in just the US Screen Shot 2022-10-07 at 5.23.53 PM.png & Canada theatrically in the first 7 days, so yeah I think they'll do just fine.. And maybe not every straight person in the world is avoiding it.
sounds like a big loss to me, i mean they split half of that with the theatres right for the opening weekend?
i guess i really don't understand the business side cause i'd expect them to take a huge loss with these numbers.

is netflix really gonna pay them 10 million to put bros on the roster

Personally, I am avoiding it. There was a moment when I might have considered watching it, the way I consider watching any film, but the second some clown tells the world his film is failing because straight people who are homophobes won't get with the program and go see it and that's why it isn't doing well. "It's all their fault!!!!", then I will NEVER see it. FUCK them.... isn't that right, sfoster?
icon_explode.gif

That's funny I had to look it up and yeah billy really did say that and agree with my point.
"straight people, especially in certain parts of the country, just didn’t show up"

It's not rocket since that if you want people to support you then you shouldn't be proudly announcing how you've excluded them and market your bigotry 😄

It's funny bill murray was in that apple tv movie and so cheap to get, he was only one location and probably filmed in a single day. maybe two, but it's enough. For something like bros he could have dementia and only be at the house. make it billy lets his dad live with him so he can take care of his dad. but his dad doesn't remember billy's gay so billy has to keep coming out to his dad like 5 different times in the movie. bill murray could make that hilarious im sure, and heartwarming as the supportive father that loves his son.

They can't even consider ideas like these cause they approached the casting with such prejudice.

Back