BIG News for Nikon D3100 Users

If I remember rightly, there was a few members who used Nikon D3100's. It's my old camera body and last night whilst browsing NikonHacker I saw that a custom firmware is now out for the D3100 which turns it from a pile of shite for videography work into something pretty solid.

The custom firmware makes it so ISO and Shutter changes can be made whilst the camera is in liveview. Doesn't sound like much if you don't know the camera, but if you do then you know that even in Manual the camera auto shutter and auto ISO's. You can get the firmware at nikonhacker.com and I made this video of the firmware in action, showing that it definitely works and the ISO will no longer default to, say, Hi-2 because of its auto settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URVh2U1GLsM

You do need to still set exposure out of liveview for non-manual lenses.

Had the displeasure of using one of those camera's, so horrible to use and grainy footage!

Yup! Horrible grainy footage because the camera automatically cranked up the ISO and always thought the image was too dark, meaning higher ISO and more grain. This firmware fixes that, meaning the camera will no longer do auto modes whilst in manual.

Back