• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch between the lines - my 2nd short film

Let me know if you want an honest critique on the sound. I'm known to be brutal and I want to give you a warning first.

I'm harsh but I give advice on how to better it. Check out my other critiques here.

I'm not a "yes man".

You don't better yourself if you don't receive good criticism and strive to do better next time. That's how I learned.

Imagine if every film you made was met with "Wow that's great" and nothing to do better on. You'd be the genius of all time.

I'm a bit disappointed in your viewpoint on never learning sound... The best directors appreciate and know how to work their own sound. If you have any questions, ask them.

We're here to help.

But hey, can't save them all, eh?

I'm not going to give up on you, though.

I hate people who say the word "never".

Last edited:
not really, thanks though. i'm not a sound person so unless you're offering you're services you don't have anything to say i don't already know. i suck at sound, it's not what i do, i never have and never will have the ability to learn anything to do with sound, it's the way it is, i'm not going to let it stop me making films though. so untill i find someone to work with on sound then this is what i can do. what's the point to critique something that is obviously not professional standards, why not give advice instead? although it wouldn't help anyways since i cant record mix edit sound good. turn the sound off it's that bad, there's no dialogue anyhow.

Hey, I completely understand where you're coming from. I promise, I'm with you all the way, and I very much share your sentiment, in a lot of ways. We can't know everything about everything, and it's good to focus on what you're good at.

However, I believe an honest critique and good advice are one and the same, when coming from someone who knows their stuff. I kinda just feel like we're talking semantics.

Plus, you talk about how you're not an audio person, but your video shows WAY more time devoted to audio than most other shorts. You actually did some foley-ing, or at least you downloaded some sounds. That's more than most people at this level do.

ROC, I don't think you should ask permission, next time. Just give the good advice.

I'll start:

What is this movie about? What do you mean, "what happens when u take the characters from one story, put them in another story, add another story"? I'm sorry, but I didn't see any characters. I saw a girl, walking around, and waiting, and going through some magical transporting door, and laughing with another girl. That's not really a character, and I don't understand the story. And then, there's a business man with her pendant, who also walks through the looking-door. WTF?!

Your narrative needs some kind of narrative. I don't have the slightest idea what it's about.

Back