Best Wide Lenses for 5D Mark 2 discussion? Barrel distortion etc

I remember reading a Philip Bloom recommendation of the Tokina 11-16mm to go with the Canon 60D as the wide lens of choice. But he never mentioned the barrel distortion that goes with an aspherical lens. Forgive me if I'm using the term, barrel disortion if it should be "curve line of focus" or something like that. What I mean is when a close subect matter moves to the edges of the frame, curving is apparent. Or the slightly apparent curve look of the entire image. Although it is desireable at times, it is not the norm and not a cinema flat look. I realize that this is normal for an SLR wide lens - but which have, as well as good color and contrast, the least barrel distortion and light falloff (vignetting) on my new Canon 5D Mark2? For under $700.

For 28mm: I have the Nikon 28mm 2.8 AI-s, a stellar lens according to reviews, with minimal barrel distortion. Wish it was an F2 instead of a 2.8, so I bought the Canon 28mm 1.8 EF USM as well. I just started working with lighting in my film groups video so I expect 2.8 to be enough. Any comments about the Canon 28mm 1.8 as opposed to other fast 28mm lenses like Nikon 28mm f2 AIS, Olympus 28mm f2 (need a mod or special adapter on 5d)? I just really don't trust Canon lens color rendition etc. I know there's the Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, but i believe my Nikon is as good below F8 acording to reviews. Comments?

For 24mm: I have the Nikon 24 mm 2.8 AF-D. First thing I noticed when I slapped it on my 5dMark2 was the light fall off. I felt like I had lost a stop. I read some great things about the Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 24mm f/2.8 - especially about it having very low barrel distortion. For a 5dM2 it would need a special adapter with glass. I've read good reviews from users, but data says below F4, with the glass adapter, contrast and detail really suffers. There's also the Zuiko 24mm F2. Comments? Other great 24mm lenses, with very low barrel distortion?

For low light and barrel distortion variety I'm considering is the Sigma 24mm 1.8 .

For 20mm: I'll probably get the Nikon 20mm Af-d. The Nikon 20mm AI-S has a huge stump on the rear of the lens that won't fit on a 5DM2 without filing. The zeiss 21mm 2.8 is expensive and Sigma 20mm 1.8 is asperical. Comments, suggestions on good 20mm lenses 2.8 or below (F2, 1.8 etc), with the low barrel distortion etc.

Lastly, having a 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm might be over kill. I really want the 20mm for close quarter (half of a room etc, wide frame.) Are there any real differences between a 24mm and a 28mm in terms of depth of field etc? Does each have place for particular uses. My Canon 28mm 1.8 has pretty significant DOF even at 1.8. Comments?

I would stick around 28mm. I have the canon 60d and the curve is "sometimes" apparent due to the crop factor with some lower lens MM; and even higher lens MM.

Read this blog post it really helps with fitting a nice lens to your camera body. All lens interact differently with the calibration of your camera body's sensor. So figuring out what lens will focus to your liking with your camera is a great thing to test and figure out, as well.

http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/how-to-test-a-lens/

I would stick around 28mm. I have the canon 60d and the curve is "sometimes" apparent due to the crop factor with some lower lens MM; and even higher lens MM.

Read this blog post it really helps with fitting a nice lens to your camera body. All lens interact differently with the calibration of your camera body's sensor. So figuring out what lens will focus to your liking with your camera is a great thing to test and figure out, as well.

http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/how-to-test-a-lens/
Thanks for the info.

Back