• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best way to sell a script?

what has his parents being doc's got to be with he selling "sixth sense"? He didn't spend a penny for it. If you read the lead actor and the producer's interview, you'll know the praise they heaped on his script but at the same time they raised doubt over him directing it. None of his two previous Indie films gave him the fan base/recognition.

Not directly, but it relates to the phrase "it's not what you know, it's who you know". Their social circles are far more likely to include industry folks than mine. Pure speculation, but I'd stake money on the fact that he had an "in" with someone, before they'd even look at the script.

I'm not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE for someone from a lower-class background to break in, but coming from a wealthy family definitely gives you an advantage. Maybe not a fair one, but that's the way the world works.

I agree 100% his parents being doctors didn't effect Sixth Sense.
HOWEVER, as you have stated it was his 3rd film.
I would say thinking the first script you sell is going to have Bruce Willis in it is a bit unrealistic. Is it possible, well anything's possible. It just is extremely unlikely.

what has his parents being doc's got to be with he selling "sixth sense"? He didn't spend a penny for it. If you read the lead actor and the producer's interview, you'll know the praise they heaped on his script but at the same time they raised doubt over him directing it. None of his two previous Indie films gave him the fan base/recognition.

Who do filmmakers turn to for financing independent films? Does anyone know who Sam Raimi went to for funding for THE EVIL DEAD? He shot some footage, put on a suit, and rented a dealer's table in AMA Conventions. Doctors and Dentists are know sources for filmmakers looking for money.

Back