Best way to learn how to draw for Storyboards?

I am a fairly inadequate drawer, but I really feel that being able to construct reasonable storyboards could help me plan out my productions. I was wondering if anyone here is in, or has been in, the same boat as me and what they did to get better. Ideally since I am working and going to school full time I am looking at doing something that is more self guided as opposed to going to classes. If anyone has any particular strategies, or any books on learning how to draw that they feel are particularly good, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

There are some basic templates that you can find on the 'net, for storyboarding.

Forum member SonnyBoo has some (as well as other neat free stuff) at SonnyBoo.com

The newer version of the (free) CeltX screenwriting software has some nifty stoyboarding utilities, too.

It's a very useful thing to do. I can't draw for squat, but penciled stick-figures are good enough if that's the route you gotta go.

:cool:

I've never used a template, but stick figures and scenes work surprisingly well! Stick figures I think are universally known to be used to people, everything else if you just do your best should be understandable.

Handpuppets! Go to the dollar store an buy some (I got a ton for $1.25 each) then just act out the parts and do the voices for each scene in the movie, I'm sure your actors will get a laugh and be sure to cut down on the number of retakes on instructional technicalities.

Okay, I'll be the first to throw myself under the bus.

Yes, I use stick figures for storyboards. As long as I am the director of DOP I will use stick figures for my SB because I suck at drawing. As for a close up I do give a try to make it look a little sexy but normally it comes out like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. So unless someone really wants to SB 300+ shots for me for free I tend to do it myself because the true image is inside my head. The SB is there to give the others (and a reminder to myself) a frame of reference so they (and I) can help set up the shot. Yes, I do wish I can have someone do a better job at clarifying my chicken scratch but I haven't had to go in that direction yet.

As for how to do a storyboard there are many different formats/ways so it's best to choose what is best for you and tweak it if you need. Now if it's for a project for one of the large production companies then you will need to reach out to them to see what they want and how it should be done. Because I know my chicken scratch would cut the job for them when showing my vision.

EDIT: Good to see L.I.F.E. threw themselves under the bus too. ;)

Last edited:
I use stickfigures with bodymass ;)
And when there are only a few characters I use round, square, rectangle and traingle shaped heads to make clear who is who.

Still, I believe it's a good thing to practise model-drawing. It will help you develop a feeling for human dimensions and the skills to sketch you stickfigures really fast.
Wireframe 3D/perspective sketching on paper is also a handy skill.
It doesn't have to be a piece of art.... it has to communicate.
Sometimes to a lot of people, sometimes just to yourself.

Here is a sketch I made just for myself, so it looks terrible.... but you don't need to be Rembrandt.
http://brokxmedia.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/storyboard_zomergroet.jpg
(The notes are in Dutch, but it's not about the notes now. And it's a cosmic storyboard without people... Hmmm not the best example, I guess :P )

Last edited:
Back