Best PC For Editing

Hello,

I apologize in advance if there's already been posts like this. I'm looking for the best reasonably priced PC for editing. For my editing purposes I've been using my family's old desktop computer that still has Vista and runs very slowly. It's getting quite annoying and I'm looking to do some serious editing on a much faster PC. I'll be dedicating this PC almost exclusively to editing. I'm looking to spend no more than $600. Would a laptop or a desktop be better for my needs? Also, how much RAM and how large of a hard drive should I be looking for?

If it makes a difference, I haven't decided for sure what software I'll be using yet. I'm going to download a few free trials then make my decision. It will either be Avid, Vegas, or Premiere Pro, since they are all in the $500 or less range with the student discount applied.

I know Macs are great and all, and I've been using an iMac and iMovie & Final Cut Express in my video production class for two years, but I just don't have the money for a Mac, because if I were to buy a Mac, I'd probably end up buying Final Cut Studio, and then I'd be spending nearly $2000 which I just don't have.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I already decided a few days after buying the PC to go ahead and connect it online, because like you said, I'm not depending on my PC for business or anything like that. But I am very careful about the sites I visit, and I do lots of scanning for viruses using Norton Security Suite.

Linux Rocks

Im using my edit machine on the net right now. I do ALL of my computing with my Ubuntu machine. I am not the least bit afriad of malware since I run Ubuntu Linux. My machine is an i5 4 core machine w/ 4gb of ram a 200gb system drive and 2- 750gb drives for video and a 400gb drive for Music / Sound. ALL of my software is free and open source. I use Cinelerra to edit and it works fine for me. i use audacity for sound editing / noise removal and the Gimp or Krita for image editing. I am just finding out about Cinepaint, which is a high-end bitmap image editor used by some heavyweight Hollywood studios. Synfig will work for animation and special effects. FOSS offers everything I need for video post work. I do not need or want all of the plug-ins. If you are creative, you have all the tools you need w/ Linux and it's free.

I have also done a feature movie shot on a canon HV20 which I edited on Windoze. The movie is a Z-Grade film, but I learned a lot in the process. I am now comitted to making short films on Linux . If you are interested in finding out more and see my recent short and how you can create videos using free software, see my website at http://indiebudgetmoviemaker.com . You can see my short film on Vimeo and if you have any questions about using free software to create, just post a question on the video's comments and I'll be happy to get back w/ you.

Last edited:
Back