• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best online screenwriting course that you have to pay for?

Whats the best screenwriting course online? The only one I know of is fastscreenplay, and I like the visuals/format and the way how he reiterates that you have to keep doing it everyday and put in hard work if you want to make it happen. Anyone know if there are any other options out there that I can compare to?

Whats the best screenwriting course online? The only one I know of is fastscreenplay, and I like the visuals/format and the way how he reiterates that you have to keep doing it everyday and put in hard work if you want to make it happen. Anyone know if there are any other options out there that I can compare to?

I can't resist answering this. Forgive me, Indietalk gods, if it's too much of a plug.

I did author a screenwriting course on Lynda.com. It's about 40 short videos of me telling you how to take your basic story idea and turn it into a dramatic narrative, step by step.

Obviously, I can't objectively call my course the "best", but I did try hard to make it concise and enjoyable. It's got fun little illustrations too. You pay $25 for a month's access to Lynda.com, which includes my course and a couple thousand others. All in all, a pretty good deal.

If you're curious: http://www.lynda.com/MarkTapioKines

I took several playwriting classes with Gotham Writers Workshop, and thought they were very good; I also know several very good writers who teach there. I haven't taken their screenwriting classes (I took all of mine at The New School) but I'm attaching the link. They are classes rather than pre-made tutorials. More expensive, but I figured I'd share it in case that's what you're looking for.
https://www.writingclasses.com/HomePages/indexOnline.php

That looks like a nice straight-forward course, I like the style too. I think thats a great deal, thanks for the link

Read any screenplay by William Goldman. Read any screenplay of any movie you like. Keep reading more screenplays of movies you like.

If you want to improve your dialog skills, again, read any screenplay by William Goldman, or any book by Larry McMurtry.

fastscreenplay

I took a look (and did the trial) at this a while back in its initial form (where you could only do one lesson per day).

If he delivers what he promises, then it's a good course. From what I saw, it gave me the shits. The trial was more about NLP and reinforcement about repetition than about writing.

The price is also fairly steep. $800 right?

I took a look (and did the trial) at this a while back in its initial form (where you could only do one lesson per day).

If he delivers what he promises, then it's a good course. From what I saw, it gave me the shits. The trial was more about NLP and reinforcement about repetition than about writing.

The price is also fairly steep. $800 right?

yeah, I dont like how youre only allowed to do one step a day, because I like to learn as fast as possible, and I cant really see if its the right program for me without shelling over some $$$. I see that there's a monthly option for $99 a month, instead of paying $800, so I might do that, but I might not because I really dont like the 1 step a day limit. But then again if it really teaches you what it says it does it would be worth it.

Back