• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Home Studio Qualities

I've been reading about different recording home studios and it seems everyone has a different opinion on best practices. Let me start of by saying I know nothing I can do at home will sound "great". I'm just looking for the best results for a house. For these questions, assume when I am recording, I have some sound treatment such as hanging blankets with a c-stand in front of the talent.

1. Are small, medium, or larger rooms typically best?
2. Is it better to be in a carpeted, wooden, or tiled floors?
3. Is it better to be in a closed area like a bedroom, semi closed, or wide open?

I'm making the assumption that you're asking about a room for music recording and/or audio post.

There are no answers to your questions. There are just too many variables, starting with budget. Now, if you gave a specific room configuration, a highly detailed list of absolutely everything you own that could possibly apply to a studio (furniture, carpets, lumber, cables, "tech," etc., etc., etc) and a definitive budget a few of us could probably point you in the proper general direction.

Far from definitive, but this will give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for. I know you don't have anything close to that kind of budget, but it is the way you should be thinking.

http://www.bedroom-recording.com/building-a-home-recording-studio.html

You may also want to check out this forum:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

Thanks for the resources. Yes, I'm looking to record music, voice over, and ADR work.

I really have no budget right now, I just have some recordings I need to make and I'm wondering what are the ideal characteristics of a room that generally make for better audio recordings. I have a few different types of rooms I can setup in and haven't been able to find anything concrete on the recommendation of the most basic of setups.

It all depends upon what you want to record.

If you're doing ADR you want a room with very little "character" at all, fairly "dead," and medium to medium/large is preferable. (Hmm, how are you defining large?)

There are/were some studios that had their own "sound" that was partially the acoustics of the room, especially in the late 50's through the early 80's - and most specially some the Motown and Muscle Shoals studios. Therefore, a little character can be good in a studio, but the control room itself still has to be pretty neutral.

Voice over is (relatively) easy. Even Don LaFontaine used a rig like this...

vocalbooth.jpg

Except that he mostly used MKH-416 or U-87 mics at home depending upon what sound was needed. That's, of course when he wasn't being chauffeured to half the studios in LA.

You still need a quiet, treated control room, however.

In most instances you will be trying to control the "roominess" of the room. Ever hear that "hollow," "echoey" quality in a lot of indie films? That's what most rooms really sound like to a mic. So you want lots of carpets, stuffed furniture, wall hangings, blankets, moving pads, anything you can get to kill all that acoustic bounce.

I've been reading about different recording home studios and it seems everyone has a different opinion on best practices. Let me start of by saying I know nothing I can do at home will sound "great". I'm just looking for the best results for a house. For these questions, assume when I am recording, I have some sound treatment such as hanging blankets with a c-stand in front of the talent.

3. Is it better to be in a closed area like a bedroom, semi closed, or wide open?

First of all, why do you say that NOTHING you do at home will sound great? A good deal of musicians are making great albums from their home studios nowadays, with gear that's fully accessible to you and I.

Okay, this is MY booth...

1522220_10201467910366356_1022512400_n.jpg

It sounds super sweet. You can hear it at work in this commercial...

http://www.flickercity.com/productions/commercial/radio/betptc/betptc_finalmaster.wav

So, here's what I did...

1. Room is about 8 X 8
2. 1 inch pile carpet.
3. OC703 foam on the walls up to 70%. (Covered in Orange burlap)
4. Scattered coverage with studio wedges.
5. Ceiling covered in studio wedges.
6. Door covered entirely in studio wedges, including the door frame.
7. Neve - 511 Preamp
8. Samson Compressor
9. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Audio Interface

I don't know about all of your other options, but I say start from an example that sounds great, like mine and just mimic it. Why reinvent the wheel?

I would highly suggest not going down this road. This may kill reflection, but it does nothing to remove the white noise from a room with computer fans. Plus, with your head in there, you will kill ALL reflection, which is actually frowned upon. You want to only kill about 70% reflection. This is known.

In most instances you will be trying to control the "roominess" of the room. Ever hear that "hollow," "echoey" quality in a lot of indie films? That's what most rooms really sound like to a mic. So you want lots of carpets, stuffed furniture, wall hangings, blankets, moving pads, anything you can get to kill all that acoustic bounce.

so it seems like jrusso's example, a small (8x8) room with everything carpeted/padded is ideal for a home studio?

jrusso said:
First of all, why do you say that NOTHING you do at home will sound great?

That's what people say on the internet... I'm sure most of the stuff will sound great to me.

so it seems like jrusso's example, a small (8x8) room with everything carpeted/padded is ideal for a home studio?

No, it is not "ideal" for a home studio, because there is no "ideal" home studio. jrusso worked hard, thought it out, spent some money wisely, and got a nice room out it. You keep looking for absolutes when it is mostly about smarts, ingenuity and adaptability - and great financial management.

That's what people say on the internet...

People say/write a lot of things on the internet that are not true or completely misunderstood.

No, it is not "ideal" for a home studio, because there is no "ideal" home studio. jrusso worked hard, thought it out, spent some money wisely, and got a nice room out it.

Thank you.

You keep looking for absolutes when it is mostly about smarts, ingenuity and adaptability - and great financial management.

People say/write a lot of things on the internet that are not true or completely misunderstood.

Truthfully, this is what I was saying as well. Basically, research...

Alot of what my studio is today, is from trial and error over a 12 year span.

Thanks for the resources. Yes, I'm looking to record music, voice over, and ADR work.

I really have no budget right now, I just have some recordings I need to make and I'm wondering what are the ideal characteristics of a room that generally make for better audio recordings. I have a few different types of rooms I can setup in and haven't been able to find anything concrete on the recommendation of the most basic of setups.

Hey, not a problem. I suggest you start simple. You know where I began? In a walk-in closet in our home. Yep.

So, the lesson is, start small, but ALWAYS be buying gear. You will never have all the money at once. You have to take $500 here, and $100 there, etc... and build your room over a period of many years.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why you would want to record in a walkin closet rather than an open room with hanging blankets. What makes one better than the other?

The bigger the room, the more work it takes to reduce ambient noise and reflections. If you have a walkin closet, you already have dampened walls, with zero effort.

I've heard that reasoning, but I've already heard that the bigger the rooms, the longer it takes waves to bounce back which also reduces the reflections and ambient noise.

So given the two options of small closet with absorbing materials versus large open room with less absorbing materials, you are would always go for option A?

Again, you are looking for answers without giving us any pertinent information.

I know that I'm being redundant, but I'll repeat myself again - it's all about smarts, ingenuity, adaptability and sound financial management. And let's not forget knowledge

Most of us are "forced" into a room. My first "studio" was an alcove in the living room of my apartment (hence my company name, Alcove Audio Productions). My second was a 10' x 10' bedroom until I finally moved into the studio in my basement; the control room is about 12' x 16', the studio is sort of "L" shaped, roughly 220 sq./ft. Each move was a series of compromises and adaptations.

You will also have to compromise and adapt. Available resources, available budget, ergonomics, the type of work you want to do, your personal quirks, plus dozens of other considerations will figure into your decisions.

So, at the risk of being monotonously, redundantly repetitive, GIVE US SPECIFICS. Your question has been, "My car is broken; how do I fix it?" and we don't even know what kind of car you have, if you have a flat, the engine is running roughly, there's steam coming up from under the hood or you got T'ed by an express train. All we know is that you don't have any money - which means that the car ain't gonna get fixed by anyone but yourself. So stop being lazy, get off your ass, do some serious research and come back with specific, relevant questions and include ALL pertinent details.

I know that I'm sounding a bit harsh, but the other professionals and myself here on IndieTalk don't have the time to waste on undirected inquiries. We are more that happy to help. but please don't waste our time with vague (how long is a piece of string" queries.

I do audio work, recording, post production etc for a living. I have had my studio set up in a few different houses over the years, and some houses are easier to adapt than others. AA has already made lots of good points. I will just add a few simple things I have learned over the years:

a) It's very difficult to make a good control room in a small room. No matter how you treat it you will always be fighting to get a good balanced response in the bass audio frequencies. It's easier to start with a larger room and treat it. Easier doesn't necessarily mean easy though!
b) Create a dead space in your "Live' room somewhere. Chose a corner or a closet and put up lots of treatment and deadening. This will be good for voice-over or recording vocals. But....not so good to get a nice sound from acoustic instruments. So....
c) Find another place ( it may even be in the same room) where you can have a more "Live" sounding space for recording acoustic instruments. You may still need to do treatment to control early reflections etc, but don't make it too dead.

These things sound simplistic. They aren't always easy to achieve, but with some thought and a good ear it can be possible to make pretty good sounding home studio rooms.

I've heard that reasoning, but I've already heard that the bigger the rooms, the longer it takes waves to bounce back which also reduces the reflections and ambient noise.

So given the two options of small closet with absorbing materials versus large open room with less absorbing materials, you are would always go for option A?

Unfortunately, jrusso often chimes in on audio topics, which is a shame as he obviously knows little/nothing about the subject and just makes facts/advice up, apparently in an attempt to mislead those asking for advice. Not only is the information he gave you in post #12 incorrect, it couldn't have been more incorrect! You can ignore everything about re-inventing the wheel and not exceeding 70% reflection reduction as well, he just made that up too!

In answer to your second statement, as a general rule one would go for option B, not option A. As a general rule, a large room is better, partially due to the reduction of reflection energy over distance but also due to the most troubling fundamental room modes occurring below the limit of human hearing (in a large room). As rocksure stated, trying to treat a room to avoid lower freq room modes and get a balanced bass response is in effect impossible in a small room, no matter how much money you have to throw at the problem. However option B is a very general rule, as Alcove effectively stated, it depends what you want to achieve, for some things option A might be better, see below:

1. There is no typically best, only typically best for a particular type of recording. If you do a search for top class commercial recording facilities, you will find they have a variety of live rooms, for different tasks. A very small dead VO or vocal booth, a much larger more lively room for acoustic instruments, a smaller more lively room for drums, a very large room for acoustic ensembles, etc.

2. As with question #1, it depends. Carpeted tends to be better for film/TV audio post applications, wooden floors tend to be better for acoustic instruments, tiled is usually avoided (although there are some applications). Again though, this is all a generalisation.

3. Just as above, it depends. Although for most things, a typical bedroom is just about the worst environment. The problem with semi-closed or wide open spaces is noise getting into the recording environment and contaminating the recording.

As Alcove stated, we really need more information. For example, there's a good chance that your idea of small, medium and large are quite different to ours. The other problem is that it's probable that the best environment for one of the things you want to record is a particularly bad environment for one of the other things! For example, the ideal environment for recording ADR, as Alcove said, is a quite large, slightly dead, very neutral room. This is so the talent can stand back 3ft or so from the mic/s, giving much better acoustic perspective and a much better match with production sound. If on the other hand you're recording acoustic instruments like guitar, piano, wind or other string instruments, then a similar fairly large sized room would be good but you'd ideally want a completely different (effectively opposite!) acoustic response from the room, much more lively and coloured. For voice over you typically want a small, very dead room. For recording vox (sung vocals), a medium room is good but as the singer is usually very close to the mic and outputting (singing) a fairly decent volume, then room acoustics are not so much of an issue and good results can be had even in quite small rooms (providing the reflections have been moderately well tamed).

As you can see, unless you have a large and flexible space and a very significant budget you're almost certainly going to have to compromise. Exactly what compromises you're going to have to make will depend on your budget, the room/s you have available (their dimensions/volume/shape) and exactly what you want to record. You've stated VO, ADR and music but you need to be more specific on what sort of music and what instruments. Without this information, any suggestions you might receive could be dead right for you, a complete waste of your time/money or anywhere in between! So, I second Alcove's request/demand for more specific information.

I also suggest you do some background reading of HomeTheatreShack's "Home Acoustics Forum". To familiarise yourself with basic acoustic principles and the issues presented by home environments (room modes for example).

G

Back