• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best format when exporting in Premiere, to get the best quality in After Effects?

If you had a scene that you edited in Premiere Pro, and wanted to put it into After Effects for special effects and color grading, what format is best to export in?

Is it .AVI ?

If you're throwing a scene built in Premiere, into After Effects, and back into Premiere again, that's going to result in some quality loss. So I'm just trying to make sure I preserve as much quality as possible.

If you're running windows, I recommend "Uncompressed AVI". Maximize quality settings, and make sure you're exporting to the correct resolution, etc.

It's possible that Macs might work better with "uncompressed MOV" (at least I seem to recall that being an option) but I'm not sure as I'm not much of an Apple guy.

uh.. why.. ???

AE can open\import premier projects directly thereby letting you use the original footage in its best quality..

I run most my premiere projects though AE and do my final renders out of AE.

What I do is in premiere I export the sequence as a .png sequence. Been doing that for a while now and it works out great. If you have the Adobe Suite you can do what @wheatgrinder suggested :)

uh.. why.. ???

AE can open\import premier projects directly thereby letting you use the original footage in its best quality..

I run most my premiere projects though AE and do my final renders out of AE.

+1

Depending on how up to date your Adobe software is, files should transfer between Premiere and AE without the need to export first.

Back