best ever actor/director/cinematographer alive today

The problem with having to pick the best, or even a favorite, is that there are too many greats to pick from.

Personal favorite (living) sound designers - Randy Thom, Gary Rydstrom, Walter Murch, Richard King, Ben Burtt.

Personal favorite (living) composers - John Williams, Randy Newman, Hans Zimmer, Michael Giacchino.

I can't pick "best ever", because I don't think there is such a thing. But I will pick one of each for who I'd love to work with:

Actor: Johnny Depp (he's amazing. I would be comfortable calling him the best of his generation.)
Director: Darren Aronofsky (he just does such cool stuff...)
Cinematographer: Eric Steelberg (he did (500) Days of Summer, Juno, Young Adult, etc., all of which are along the same vein visually as films I'd like to direct and produce)

Seems like the most popular composer around here is Hans Zimmer.

Does anybody else listen to the Inception soundtrack while writing like you're saving the world? :D

The thing is, I don't think you need to be very familiar with this or that DP or sound designer or composer. I think all you need do is think of what movies you think look great, which sounded great, which ones had a great score. Then, find out who made them. Look at their resumes on IMDb. There you go. =)

Since composer was left out, maybe we could think of these earlier I.T. threads as sister threads. They're worth looking at again, I think.

Who is Your Favorite Composer?

Favourite Score?

Last edited:
Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio - I just really like this guy. He seems to always put out great performances.
Director: Christopher Nolan - I was at the right age and right time in my life in terms of interest in film when I first saw Inception and it just stuck with me. I know people disagree about him and specifically about Inception, but I love it.
Cinematographer: I honestly have no clue.

Back