best ever actor/director/cinematographer alive today

just for fun, only one name per role, there can only be ONE NAME per role ! this will define your choice properly without comparison. must be alive as well.

Actor: Tom Hanks - the guy has been in comedy, action and childhood films, hes brought laughter, sadness and a charisma that doesnt irritate you.

Director: Christopher Nolan - he reinvented the batman, he gave us inception, aswell as memento and The prestige (not everyones fav but i thought it was good) hes also from london so im biased :)

Cinematographer : Wally Pfister as above.

Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, mainly because of Sherlock
Director: Martin Scorsese because I can't find fault with anything he does
Cinematographer: Wally Pfister, especially for The Prestige and Inception

Actor: Sean Bean. I'd probably choose Hanks, too, just because he's so lovable. But just to mix it up.

Director: Francis Ford Coppola.

Cinematographer: Gordon Willis. The man (or woman, had it been) who made The Godfather look the way it does has to get top honors.

Actor: Christian Bale – Any man who can go from Patrick Bateman to Trevor Reznik to Bruce Wayne, the whole time remaining completely believable in every instance, is absolutely deserved of Best Actor recognition.

Director: Steven Spielberg – Could it be any body else? The man brought us “Jaws”, “E.T.”, “Jurassic Park”, “Schindlers List”, “Saving Private Ryan”, etc, etc.

Cinematographer: Roger Deakins – I have to admit, I’m not really up on who the best Cinematographers are…. I don’t follow their work, like I may a particular Actor or Director. So I’m saying Deakins, just because he’s a good Cinematographer whose work I actually know!

Actor: Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood
Director: Spielberg, Scorsese
Cinematographer: Roger Deakins, Christopher Doyle, Emmanuel Lubezki, Vittorio Storaro, Gordon Willis, Andrew Lesnie (wish I could say Gregg Toland and Conrad Hall but of course they've passed).

Last edited:
Actor: Jennifer Lawrence
Director: Woody Allen
Cinematographer: Seems harsh to pull 82-year-old Gordon Willis out of retirement, so I'd err towards Deakins or Seamus McGarvey.

Then why isn't your favorite director Hitchcock? :lol:

I know, right?

Anyway, I don't like the word "best", but my current favorites:

Actor: Jamie Foxx
Director: Steven Spielberg

I'm gonna have to abstain from the DP question, cuz the only one I really know of is Deakins. So, instead of that category, allow me to add...

Composer: Danny Elfman

:)

what i find interesting is that not alot of people know of Cinematographers, what I also refrained from asking as there was so little information for me to grasp was who is the main guy in charge of sound.

but why is it that as filmmakers generally involved in visual rather than audio (im generalizing sorry) do we not know enough about DOPs? is there something that isnt special enough about them?

perhaps A.P.E or Alcove Audio could enlighten us to who they think is the best in the sound department..

I only know of 2 composers, zimmer and martinez

Then why isn't your favorite director Hitchcock? :lol:

unfortunately he is dead ;p

EDIT:

Also a lot of people give credit to director for everything including framing, lighting, sound design, edits... Even though there are some individuals who do deserve that credit, most don't.

Last edited:
Back