• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Editing Software and Equipment for Digital Editing

My partner and I are just starting out, and we're wondering what software and computers you reccommend. Mac or PC? A computer dedicated solely to editing? And what programs? We'd be very appreciative if you guys could help us out with this. Thanks.

The Apple Mac Pro; even an entry level version, is probably the best editing solution for the money. The Mac Pros take up to 4 internal SATA hard drives, 16GB of RAM, and come with 4 or 8 processing cores. Final Cut Express is adequate for most editing. Final Cut Suite has everything but the grip kit.

A PC can be used for editing, but I find PCs to be more difficult to maintain. The one thing I do have is a lot of computer savvy, and my choice would be an Apple for editing, any day. I own a Power Mac G5, a MacBook, and an Intel iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Core Duo 2 with 4GB of RAM. I love the iMac for it's beautiful display and it's a great deal for the money, but the Mac Pro gives you much more room for future expansion.

Doug

Last edited:
PC all the way. Used to be a mac guy until I realized I could build a way better PC for the money. You can build a quad core system for under $1000 and be smoking--you can not do that with a Mac system. Mac's are great but over priced and for what it costs you can build a PC that will kill the Mac. I use Sony Vegas Pro--handles HDV in real time. I am just starting out but did research for a year and build my own computers. Everything is less expensive for the PC and you have a much greater selection of add ons. Currently running 2GBram, 3 400 GB Satas, 2 500GB externals, high end dual core, BMG 7900 GTX NVIDIA card, 550 power supply....looking at buying quad core setup but will probably get a laptop first.

I agree 100%

PC all the way. Used to be a mac guy until I realized I could build a way better PC for the money. You can build a quad core system for under $1000 and be smoking--you can not do that with a Mac system. Mac's are great but over priced and for what it costs you can build a PC that will kill the Mac. I use Sony Vegas Pro--handles HDV in real time. I am just starting out but did research for a year and build my own computers. Everything is less expensive for the PC and you have a much greater selection of add ons. Currently running 2GBram, 3 400 GB Satas, 2 500GB externals, high end dual core, BMG 7900 GTX NVIDIA card, 550 power supply....looking at buying quad core setup but will probably get a laptop first.

I agree with AquariumGuru 100%

However there all tools it just depends on how well you use them.
I use a Core 2 duo pentium. with a Asus motherboard. 3 gigs of Kingston ram, e-Geforce 7600 GT card,
over 2 terra gigs of harddrive space and a 650 power supply and Duel Screen monitors and it kicks butt: ) I could only imagine if I got a quad core: )

I also use SOny Vegas: ) I got a free version with the SOny Z1U HDV camera and never looked back: )
Sony Vegas is so easy to use very user friendly and plus I got magic Bullet suite with it: ) I'm currently using Version 8 now: )

We just got done with our First full length feature "Ominous" it was shot with the Z1U and edited and rendered in Sony Vegas: )

Dark Water Movies
Ominous the Movie

I suppose it all depends on what you feel comfortable with: ) I do agree though you can easily build a stronger computer then any MAC G 5 for half the cost: )

Just my opinion.

Ryan McMackin
Dark Water Productions

Thanks!!

This is great guys, thanks for the info. So, say I wanna start small and build up from there, how should I build my system? I'd love to get answers from the Mac guys about how to build a Mac, and from the PC guys about how to build a PC. Let's say I can spend $600 right now, and will have another $1000 to spend in, say, 6 months time. How should I go about it?

If you purchase Windows for your new PC, you've got $400 left for hardware and software. It all comes down to how much your value your time. I can't imagine editing on $200 worth of hardware. That's a hard drive and cheap mainboard. For $600 you could build an entry level Linux editing system.

you don't build a mac, they are turnkey systems. You plug them in, they go. This is great if you are a computer geek type who wants to spend time putting together a computer. You're also not under an overall manufacturer warranty if something goes wrong.

If you're savvy enough to do your own tech support, go for it. If you don't like windows, you could put it together and use linux as well...but if you're not a screwdriver turning computer geek looking forward to doing your own tech support, a Mac is a great option.

Again, you can get turnkey PC's as well with comparable specs for just a little more than a Mac, both are very comparable in terms of function, the only way to get a cheaper PC like they're talking about is if you're to put together and support your own machine. Is it a tool for making projects or is it the project itself (there is no bad or wrong answer)?

Wait until you have $2000.

You'll want a big display or even two displays, software, DVD-burner, LOTS of HD space, all the RAM you can afford and plenty of processor. It's really hard to overbuy when you are editing video on a computer.

And then you'll need software.

2 terra gigs? :eek: Holy crap! That's 2 trillion gigabytes! I'll take it! :lol:

I think that was supposed to be Terabytes. ;)

I use a PC because I am my own technician. But it all comes down to personal preference. Building your own PC is great, but remember you still need to buy the operating system unless you're running Linux. You can actually get a better deal overall by purchasing a ready-built system because it comes with the operating system, a warranty and some (often worthless) tech support. Now if you're a Warez junky that price comes down considerably, but be very careful with that option.

Well, my roomate is a computer tech, so that's not really a problem, but maybe I will wait until I've got the most to spend on the system before I buy. That's good advice. My roomate tells me I should go with Mac, because I can always get Virtual PC if I want to run IBM compatible software. See, I've always been a PC guy...never had a Mac, though my cousin Jason tells me he'd rather eat crushed glass than own a PC. He puts Mac stickers on his drumset, and he tried to get them to sponsor his motocross "career" a few years back. They didn't go for it...which is a good thing since he quit racing a year later to pursue his music career.

Last edited:
Actually, if you get an intel mac, you can just throw windows on it and use your windows software that way "Boot Camp" is the name of the software to make a dual boot system...and it's released by apple.

First of all, for a lot less money, you can build a PC editing system than a Mac. That's the facts Jack. Mac's are cool, trendy, they do cool things. But for the same money it costs you to buy a mac, you can build a much better PC system that will way kick its ass. I used to set up, run, train people on macs in college. They're sweet if you got the extra cash laying around. I built my own PC system and have never looked back (I also play with linux which is another discussion). I picked up windows XP for $80 on ebay.

If you are a student, then you will have to see what kind of discounts you can get--and get them now because the costs only go up after you get out. If you are not handy or don't care to be or don't want to learn and want to pay others to fix your equipment, then buy something already pre-made but beware of cheap components.

If you take some time to do some research in how to build a PC on the internet--you CAN build your own PC. There is not a lot to screw up anymore and if you know how to read, you can build your own computer and have control over the quality of components you put in it.

When you buy something off the shelf at @#$ or anywhere, the manufacturer in most cases because its about their bottom line put the least expensive components in those machines. I speced out (they let me open the case and look at all the components and write down serial numbers) of a dual core system at a well known electronics store--you know what I found--cheap parts, thinner motherboard, low-end cpu, etc.

So, if I can't afford to pay someone--I do it myself--and I can fix and build computers now because I am comfortable under the hood. If I want to upgrade my graphics, put ram in, add or remove hd, upgrade to a quad core (need a new mobo for that and power supply) I can do that and it won't cost me an arm and a leg.

The choice is yours, but I would say if you are smart enough to be a film maker you can certainly build your own PC. I wish Mac's were less expensive, aesthetically they are really nice-- but PC's have caught up even in style now and just about any of the software and components--and in most cases, they are always less expensive, more options and add ons, and greater customization. You can do it.

Starting out, minimum, all you need is 1 Computer with:

-dual core CPU--you can get these for $100 now)
-mother board--$100 - $140
-power supply--around 500 watts $100-$200
-2 gigs of ram $70 ish
-256 Ram video card $100 to $200
-DVD burner $50
-2-sata-hard drives (1 for your system and 1 for your files) $100 to $200
-1 external 500 gb hard drive for backup- $99
1 Monitor $200 to $300
1 key board $45
1 XP operating system $80
1 Editing software ($100 to $500) depending on what you get. I recommend Sony Vegas. IF you are doing HDV, get Sony Vegas Pro
Estimation. Look on Newegg.com

Tony in Duluth

Well it kinda depends what your long term goals are. If it's just cut home video footage together for the lowest price- then yeah you build a cheapie PC and get Vegas. But you don't find that rig being used to cut major features and commercials, etc. So if it's something you might ultimately want to have as a career you should start with the editing software that pros use and would expect you to have been trained on. So in that case you would want to go for Avid or Final Cut Pro.

Noah

Well, my long-term goals are to start my own production company. I'm enrolling in a two-year film school in the Fall, but in the short term I want to start with what I can, because it's always easy to upgrade later. I've got my system now. My partner and I managed to build a pretty nice pc and pick up an external hard drive. We're starting out with two prosumer (as opposed to consumer) minidv cameras, and within the year hope to upgrade to a canon xl-h1. The only thing we haven't gotten yet is editing software. I've heard mentionof Final Cut Express, Final Cut Pro, and Sony Vegas Pro...just wondering once more what everyone's input was. I've checked out these programs and they sound great, but what else is out there? I want to make an as informed a decision as possible.

I don't think you've shopped for Apples in a while Tony...the prices have come to the point that to get equivalent machines you're paying more for the PC now...and still not getting a warranty and phone support for when the machine made form the cheap parts breaks or has driver conflicts.

While this solution is fine for folks who don't mind spending their days editing and nights doing their own tech support (or paying someone else $85/hr to do it for them)...most users just want a tool they can use out of the box...I'm having a friend who sold Macs and PC's for the last year get me a minimum price comparison together for you along with links to the parts so we can compare the parts and pricing and determine whether or not the budget box is actually cheaper than the Mac...I've been engaged in this discussion too often and want to get to the bottom of it through research.

Our comparison model will be an intel iMac 20" with 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb SATA Hard Drive, ATI Radeon 2400 XT, DVD Burner (super drive), Final Cut Express pre-installed, 3 year Applecare Protection Warranty (because machines fail)...Built in sound card, Firewire, USB2.0, Wireless (802.11g), Bluetooth 2.0 and gigabit ethernet. we don't necessarily need the wireless or the bluetooth on the PC, but without isn't an option with the Mac.

Cost: $1667 (can be cheaper if you are a student or know one)

Keep in mind, I'm not saying "BUY A MAC!"...I'm just saying, lets do the actual comparison and see how the numbers roll.

Your cost so far with the cheapest parts listed is $1100 and doesn't include a case, sound card or firewire for inputting the video (unless it's built onto the MoBo...which I doubt at that cost -feel free to prove me wrong). XP for $80 doesn't sound right...should be about $170 and MS isn't making it available for purchase (therefore no support either) after april, it'll all be vista. I'm assuming at $70 for 2Gb RAM, that the RAM is really low end...Having had to repurchase about 300 sticks of RAM at my last job...I don't buy bargain RAM anymore, it fails.

Knightly's friend Dave said:
I am a certified Apple Technician, and I have also worked directly with PC and building them, selling them and supporting them as well, I can give you a real break down of this stuff.

Buying Windows XP on eBay is a BIG NO NO! Chances are likely if you buy any software on eBay, it is pirated or flat out an illegal copy. eBay has some very specific rules about buying and selling software on their site. You should really read up on that prior to buying any software on eBay.

According to your list you have below, that system will not even touch what a mac is capable of.

- A dual core 2.8Ghz Intel Processor will cost you roughly 129.99 - that price varies slightly from store to store. A faster processor will cost you more. You will also need the fand and heat sink for this. (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116258 )
- A good mother board that would be comparable to the mac will cost you $169.99 minimum. Keep in mind most boards under $100 will likely not have sata or support PCI-X (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030 )
- A 500w power supply will cost 79.99 new. ( link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153028 )
- 2GB of ram will cost you about $70 for the cheap stuff. $100 for anything good. (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134086 )
- If you editing video, a bigger video card is advisable, but 256MB will work fine. For a 256MB video card of a good quality will cost you about $200.00. Keep in mind, in most cases, your card will need to be DirectX 10 compatale. (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261002 )
- DVD burner, $50 is about right.
- Sata hard drives, depending on the size, could be considerably more than $100-$200. $100-$200 would be for a less than desirable name brand and quality. I always recommend going with Seagate. The Barracuda series is a nice line. Also, doing video, you want some size to these drives. Lets say 500GB is the size you want. $200 per drive is about the right neighborhood. (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148136 )
- 1 monitor...this depends on the size, the name and of course, again the quality plays a huge role in the price. Video, you don't want to lose that quality. $300 is about the starting point for a good monitor.
- Keyboard and mouse standard. $40
- Now lets not forget about a sound card, something you missed on your original posting. $100 minimum for a somewhat ok sounding card. (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102005 )
- External hard drive for backups...500GB will cost you about $200 for a good drive. You want a fairly good one, especially if your backups are on it. No sense on putting backup files on a drive that has a history of failing. (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136166 )
- XP operating system $80? If it's illegal or pirated I could see that. I recommend playing it safe and getting a real copy of it. Microsoft is really beating people down for that right now. $169.99 for XP Pro.
- Editing software...that all depends on what you are looking for. What features and what quality. This could range from $100 to $2000. It all depends.
Other things you forgot:
- A case for your system. $79.99. You want the extra room for cooling.
- Firewire 1394 card. $49.99.
- Anti-Virus, spyware software. $50-$100 for anything worth while. (this is a yearly cost by the way.
- Backup software, unless you plan to do this manually every time. $129.99

Total, just to even come close to the Mac: $2198.00
Mac equivalent: $1667.00

One point I would like to make is simply because it is cheaper, does not make it better. If you were to build a PC exactly spec for spec to a Mac, you will be coming in about $100-$200 cheaper for the Mac. The Mac has built-in backup software, all integrated hardware (no drivers to uninstall themselves or go bad) and it is not prone to viruses or spyware. Oh, and it will also run your windows XP, Linux, or any other OS you want to throw at it. My last PC cost me 169.99. I bought Windows XP and installed it on my MacBook. I also have Red Hat, Ubuntu, and YellowDog running on it as well. So I just got 5 machines for what it would cost you to build a single machine with the same specs.

<snarky mac vs. pc comment edited out>

Back