Best Conversion Software For .VOB

Hi,

1) I'm looking for software, free or paid for, that will allow me to convert .VOB files (along with the .BUP) into one readable AVI/MPG/MPEG file without any loss of video data. I want the maximum results, the same as I recorded it onto .VOB, in the end result.

I want to use the files in Adobe AF and Sony Vegas Pro, as they seem to hate .VOB files.

2) Also, what extension would be the best extension to convert to in order to get the best results? (there are loads like AVI, MPEG, MPG etc.)

Thanks.

I've been playing around with Super (free) and it works just fine, but the problem is, it gives you aspect ratio's to convert to and the max it has is 16:9 when sometimes the image is longer like 1:85 so it looks stretched.

Anyone here use Super? If so, can you tell me how to get addition aspect ratio's?

Thanks!

I'm no expert or computer-guru, but as I understand it, a .VOB file is actually pretty much the same darned thing as an MPEG. You don't need to convert it. You just need to rename it.

I very recently was sent some .VOB footage to edit, and I also was using Sony Vegas. I followed this guy's advice, and it worked like a charm:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4910485_convert-vob-mpeg.html

EDIT: The instructions in this link are completely different than when I originally posted this (it originally only called for re-naming the file).

Last edited:
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.2 and CS5 can natively edit or export .VOB files from a VIDEO-TS folder for a DVD...

It was my understanding Sony Vegas has been able to "rip" a DVD for years with a button in there somewhere.

Thanks guys, I've been messing around with SUPER and its not to bad but I do have a problem. When I record in 16:9 the playback is always 4:3 ... Is there anyway else to fix this apart from setting the player to view in 16:9 or setting the T.V's ratio?

O, and while I'm asking... I've noticed a little extra things. You can change the resolution of the video file. I upped mine from what ever the original res was (does anyone know how to find what the original res of a video file is, without the need to convert?) and changed it to 1280x720. My question is, does this really make it 720p? I mean, when playing it back, I did notice some difference, not quite sure what it was, nothing really popped out at me.

Any more advice on converting VOB files, or what else I could do to get better output results? Like there's a Video Bitrate option... etc.

Thanks guys, I've been messing around with SUPER and its not to bad but I do have a problem. When I record in 16:9 the playback is always 4:3 ... Is there anyway else to fix this apart from setting the player to view in 16:9 or setting the T.V's ratio?

O, and while I'm asking... I've noticed a little extra things. You can change the resolution of the video file. I upped mine from what ever the original res was (does anyone know how to find what the original res of a video file is, without the need to convert?) and changed it to 1280x720. My question is, does this really make it 720p? I mean, when playing it back, I did notice some difference, not quite sure what it was, nothing really popped out at me.

Any more advice on converting VOB files, or what else I could do to get better output results? Like there's a Video Bitrate option... etc.

Did you try that link I sent you? It's quick and easy, and it worked perfectly for me. Seriously, all I did was re-name the file.

Did you try that link I sent you? It's quick and easy, and it worked perfectly for me. Seriously, all I did was re-name the file.

From wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB)

"VOB files are a very strict subset of the MPEG program stream standard. While all VOB files are MPEG program streams, not all MPEG program streams comply with the definition for a VOB file."

Meaning, you can change the extension of a VOB file to MPEG no problem. But you can't take just any old MPEG file and expect it to function like a VOB file by changing its name to VOB.

I'm no expert or computer-guru, but as I understand it, a .VOB file is actually pretty much the same darned thing as an MPEG. You don't need to convert it. You just need to rename it.

this statement isn't 100% true, depending on how the VOB was encoded.

Even the link you provided states...

you will first need to change it to the MPEG format with a third party conversion program.

Read more: How to Convert VOB Into MPEG | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4910485_convert-vob-mpeg.html#ixzz15PmZbszD

I have had people tell me all they did was change the file name, but that has never worked for me, especially when you have a single MPEG file broken into four 1 gig VOB files to fit on a disc.

this statement isn't 100% true, depending on how the VOB was encoded.

Even the link you provided states...

I have had people tell me all they did was change the file name, but that has never worked for me, especially when you have a single MPEG file broken into four 1 gig VOB files to fit on a disc.

The instructions in the link have changed. When I referenced that link, it said absolutely nothing about converting any files. It gave very straight-forward, simple directions, to just simply re-name the file. I followed those directions, and they worked. Based on the replies in this thread, since then, appearantly, that method doesn't always work, depending on how it is encoded, or whatever. But when I needed to "convert" a .VOB file to MPEG, all I did was right-click on the file, and replace "vob" with "mpeg", and it worked, perfectly. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell ya.

Back