• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

best colorization software?

So I'm looking for the best editor that also has good color correction software.

I was thinking about Adobe Creative Suite 6 Production Premium. It has Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop, as well as some other programs. How is the color correction within After Effects? I've read that a lot of people buy Red Giant's Magic Bullet Suite as a plug-in. Does this warrant the price? Also, what about Sony Vegas Pro?

So I'm looking for the best editor that also has good color correction software.

I was thinking about Adobe Creative Suite 6 Production Premium. It has Premiere Pro, After Effects and Photoshop, as well as some other programs. How is the color correction within After Effects? I've read that a lot of people buy Red Giant's Magic Bullet Suite as a plug-in. Does this warrant the price? Also, what about Sony Vegas Pro?

You can do color grading in After Effects with and without plugins. I currently use the free version of Colorista from Red Giant. The newer version has some better features but I haven't gotten around to purchasing it. Sony Vegas to my knowledge is just a editor like Windows Movie Maker, Avid, FCPX, or Premiere. I imagine you can do color grading with it but that isnt what it is designed for.

Most editors have some sort of three way colour corrector that you can use to colour correct, or if you're really game attempt to grade.

However, given the fact that DaVinci Resolve now has a free version, I'm not really sure why anyone would consider grading on anything else, unless you have access to a Lustre Suite, or BaseLight suite, or perhaps a different DaVinci suite...

Most editors have some sort of three way colour corrector that you can use to colour correct, or if you're really game attempt to grade.

However, given the fact that DaVinci Resolve now has a free version, I'm not really sure why anyone would consider grading on anything else, unless you have access to a Lustre Suite, or BaseLight suite, or perhaps a different DaVinci suite...

Da Vinci Resolve doesn't work with my Macbook Pro. It will not work with the 13 inch screens sadly. This is no bueno.:lol:

Can somebody enlighten us about the workflow regarding Adobe Premiere->DaVinci->Premiere or After Effects?
That would help a lot.

You edit your shots into a film in Premiere, Avid, or Final Cut Pro. You edit your film or clips to add visual effects or color grading in After Effects. Da Vinci is another color grading software that people use in place or with After Effects because it is suppose to give you more control over the film.

Sony Vegas is great with the New Blue Color FixIt plug-in. It's perfect with its eye dropper tool when compositing with Vegas. Just touch the new background you replace with the greenscreen with the eye dropper tool and it automatically corrects the color of the foreground to match. It also comes with a lot of presets for indoor and outdoor color matching.

Sony Vegas is an all-in-one editing, compositing, and special effects program.

Can somebody enlighten us about the workflow regarding Adobe Premiere->DaVinci->Premiere or After Effects?
That would help a lot.

You do all your editing and vfx. Get a picture lock so that you know there's not going to be any more done to the image. Then you take your entire film into DaVinci and you grade. Once you've graded, you export using whatever options are available - usually in high end, we're exporting DPX files back to something like a Nitris suite to finish and create film-outs or DCP packages, I'm not sure what DaVinci's export options are, but DPX is supported by Avid and FCP, so I assume it would be supported by Premiere as well if you were to go that way.

Will also second the recommendation for Apple Color. Unfortunately, it's now discontinued, but it's very good, especially given it was bundled with FCP Studio. I suppose DaVinci Lite has now moved to fill in that gap somewhat

So IndieBudget every artist needs some tools to work with their medium and that's what I'm asking about, where to start. Oh forgot !!! !!!!

As for DaVinci Resolve Lite, the free version, it seems great. However, it runs on NVIDIA graphics cards only and I have an AMD.

Sony Vegas Pro 11 is only 20 dollars cheaper than Adobe Creative Suit 6 Production Premium for me. However, Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 is only 124, add the Visual Effects Suite and it's 194 and tax.

I'm going to try out Lightworks. It is free. Anyone have any experience with it? Thanks.

That would help a lot.

You need to export an EDL from Preimere Pro, import it into Davinci and then export back the EDL. I think this can work with an XML as well, not sure though.

The problem with Davinci is that it's notorious for its compatibility. You will need to make sure your formats properly support Davinci.

Back