• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best choice in sound equipment

Ok so I have a decent camera, a couple lights, pretty much everything but a decent audio recorder. I do have a rode video mic, not the video mic pro just the standard one. I plan on picking up the Tascam dr100 mkii for $250. Would i be alright just using a XLR adaptor and plugging the video mic into the Tascam until I can get a better mic? Also what do you recommend for indie budget mic's that are good with this recorder? I don't plan to spend more then 300max on the mic.

In the $0-300 price range your best bet is probably going to be one of these options:

Audio-Technica AT897
Oktava mk-012

The oktava needs phantom power, audio technica can run on an internal (AA) battery or phantom

There are also cheaper options, the Azden SGM-1x for example.

You didn't really specify the type of mic you're looking for, so I assumed you meant a shotgun since that's typically what people ask about on indietalk. But, you didn't indicate if you have a boom or not, so I assume you do not, that'd be another expense, along with good XLR cables, and probably a blimp.

It all adds up, and a lot quicker than it seems like it should. ;)

well i'm using the mic to film. I won't always have a boom op so i will probably end up mounting the mic on a stand or something when i don't have a boom op or just mounting the mic on the camera with the recorder also attached.

Alcove Audio

Business Member
indieBIZ
i will probably end up mounting the mic on a stand or something when i don't have a boom op or just mounting the mic on the camera with the recorder also attached.

This is probably the absolutely worst thing you can do as far as sound-for-picture is concerned. A boom-op, even an inexperienced one, will give you much better sound than if the mic is camera mounted. Putting it on a stand is not much better than camera mounted unless you are doing static interviews.

Bob here (Aclove) told me to get the dr100, which is what my budget is now heading towards, so I'm assuming yes it's worth it, in his eyes at the least.

Ok thanks for the help I bought the dr100 mkii. Still trying to figure it all out. What if I don't had a boom operator ? The short I'm filming only involves one actor. I need a way to get good sound if I don't have a boom operator. Just me and the actor and I'm filming. What is the best way i can get this audio? I have a rode video mic to plug Into the dr100 as well