Behind the Scenes

I've never really watched many behind the scenes features in big budget films because they are usually geared towards your average movie goer and not towards people interested in film making. I just watched behind the scenes of Sin City and I enjoyed it more than most I have seen.

So my question is are there particular movies/directors that have shown behind the scenes where you have actually learned something about filmmaking or that tend to focus on the reasons of why and how they are putting a scene together?

I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings bts. Still geared towards average movie goers but much more interesting than most I've seen.

I enjoyed The Lord of the Rings bts. Still geared towards average movie goers but much more interesting than most I've seen.

They're almost all aimed at the general movie-going public; that's where the money is, after all.

THE BTS extras on the "Forrest Gump: Special Collectors Edition" DVD are pretty good, but the commentaries are even more interesting.

We all have different likes and dislikes, and we all have varying perspectives, so the problem with BTS extras and commentaries is that something that would absolutely fascinate you I might find dreadfully boring - and vice versa. The other issue is that it is like being an intelligence analyst; you weed through mountains of dreck to unearth those few gems. I've watched/listened to many that were fairly dull, but all of a sudden the director or someone else would say something that that makes me go "Really cool!" or changes my perspective on something.

Last edited:
Back