Beginner looking for advice, camera help!

Hello everyone,

As the title states, I am a beginner who has always been interested but has never got around to doing any film. First of all, what is a good camera you guys would recommend to shoot short-film projects in? Preferably one that can take quality photos as well.

Secondly, I know it is practice, but are there any books or do it yourself tutorials that can point a novice in the right starting direction?

Thank you very much, any and all input is appreciated.

There are so many cameras for beginners which you can use, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic etc. and many books that go with each brand. What you need to do is research all of the cameras and find what suits you. Look at specifications on google, look at reviews and tutorials on YouTube.

Get an older Txi Canon DSLR (~$500). Get it with a kit lens, which is fine for learning.
Install Magic Lantern firmware. This will make white balancing really easy, as well as gives a bunch of other features that are useful.
Purchase VisonColor picture styles (~$10)

Many people will tell you to get a Sony, or Nikon, or Panasonic GHx camera, but the color from Canon is incredible and with the extra addons I mentioned, you will have a great filmmaking package for learning, without spending a lot of money. Also, the APS-C sensor is just about the same size as Super 35mm Film, which is what most movies are shot at, so lenses behave almost exactly the same way.

I personally used a T2i for six years before upgrading to an URSA Mini. I shot numerous short films, as well as a feature with the T2i and just the kit lens.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you already own a perfectly functional camera -- your smartphone. You can shoot your first short film this weekend. Keep it simple. Keep it short. Spend some time learning the basic techniques of filmmaking. In due time, you'll likely want to get an actual camera, but I truly believe you shouldn't do that just yet. Just start making movies with the resources already available to you.

Back