Beach/Snow Neutral Density Filters

I learned something today. I was able to head over to the beach for some test footage with the T2i/550D.

You need some serious neutral density filters, like 3.0 or 4.0 with all that reflected light. That is all. ;)

I thought I'd pass this along for other new DSLR owners shooting video.

Ah, I think I see what you meant.

Is there a reason you don't want to stack filters?

Not really, except I'm a videocam guy and these types of filters are new to the pile of equipment. That's why I'm looking to go the 4X4 route so all of my lenses and future lenses and cameras are covered.

I'll be at a shoot on March 18/19 in South Beach and exposure is important, if you catch my drift. :)

Ya', but I'm trying to future proof and not try to address individual lense needs. I'd pick one of those up for run and gun with as zoom, though.

What we do is buy 77 mm filters and step up rings to get there. 77 is the biggest out of all the lenses we use that use screw on filters at the end, then we have step up rings ($2 each on eBay) to get to 77 for the other lenses, like. 58-77 and 72-77.

A mattebox system is more future proof for sure, because it will last a transition to nicer lenses Like the compact primes, but as far as photo lenses go (which is what we own and rent) we're good to go.

4x5.65 would be the safer choice rather than 4x4 if shooting wide 24mm yes? I'm about to order a few now for the redrock matte box. I'll be shooting lots of sunrises and beaches. I was thinking horizontal schneider .6 , .9 and a few grads. Any advice before I order?

Owen

4x5.65 would be the safer choice rather than 4x4 if shooting wide 24mm yes? I'm about to order a few now for the redrock matte box. I'll be shooting lots of sunrises and beaches. I was thinking horizontal schneider .6 , .9 and a few grads. Any advice before I order?

Owen

24mm full frame, sure the larger filter would be awesome if money isn't an object. 24mm with a crop factor, it wouldn't be crucial.

Or, if you have full frame in your future, the 4X5.65's will be with you for a long, long time. Think about the infrared cut filter, though.

Back