Batman vs. Spiderman

Just seen these on IMDB. Are these old news?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMXFloDH6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWP8TdXdFZg&feature=related

Thoughts anybody?

Persoanlly, I'm not massively impressed with either. Firstly, I hate the idea of Bane in 'The Dark Knight Rises', glad they didn't go CGI (not that I expected them to) but I'm still not sold. Definately intrested to see the film though, as Nolans others were great, so fingers-crossed I'll be pleasantly suprised. Second, I didn't realise that 'Spiderman' was a complete reboot. I assumed they were calling it that due to the new cast, but showing us Peter becoming Spidey again... I don't see the point. Excited to see Lizard though.

Anybody else?

Rebooting Spiderman annoys me to no end. I'm not much of a fan of origin stories, doubly so ones we have seen a THOUSAND TIMES over. And Spidey's origin? Not all that interesting, really. I enjoyed the Raimi films (a lot actually), and starting over without him...why not just carry on the continuity? On the other side of the coin, you want to start over and do things differently, okay, fair enough. And hey, maybe this time around we'll get a director who LIKES Venom, so doesn't shoehorn him into the last 20 minutes of a movie only to get killed off. The new movie looks fun though, so I'll definitely see it, and Lizard can be a fun character, so we'll see where it goes.

With Batman, however, there is nothing I'm not looking forward to. I like Bane as an antagonist (comic book Bane, anyway, where his defining characteristic was he was VERY smart, as opposed to the animated series Bane/other movies Bane where he was just a big dumb tough guy). In the current series, Batman hasn't really gone up against anyone smarter than him, and there's loads of potential with that. Of course, I'm lamenting the lack of Harley Quinn, but that's just me ;) Can't wait for the movie!

I'm completely psyched for both of them.

Christopher Nolan, in my opinion at least, is completely untouchable. His movies work on every level. They have pure entertainment value and they are smart, thought provoking films.

The Amazing Spiderman I don't know too much about. All I'm looking forward to is Andrew Garfield, after his fantastic performance in The Social Network. He's a terrific actor.

Nolan's one of my favourite directors nowadays, and the two Batman films have been amazing, so I'm definitely looking forward to the final film in the trilogy.

The Amazing Spiderman... To me it just seems terrible from every angle. Literally the only thing I'm liking for it is the focus on Gwen Stacey rather than Mary Jane.

The main guy, whilst a great actor, is known for a very different role than the one he is about to play - I have hope though, he's shown a great amount of promise so far. Emma Stone has seemed like a fairly flat actress to me, and I feel I'm going to be disappointed in her performance this time just like every other time that she plays with the same personality.

The director was an incredibly bad choice - he's known for (500) Days of Summer, yet has been deemed worthy of making a good super hero flick? I just don't like that at all. Even less so when they made it apparent in an interview that they hadn't even read the comics. If I remember correctly, the main idea behind changing Peter Parker from being a outcast nerd into a "punk rock" teenager" was that "geeks rule the world nowadays, and aren't looked down on". I'm not exactly sure how making him into a stereotypical loner who loves to wear dark clothing would make more sense. Also, the whole "constantly emotional" crap he's going through in the trailer is going to be in the whole movie, because they want his personality to stay weak - despite even in the old trilogy of films it becoming much stronger post-nerd (in terms of how brave Peter became and intelligent, not to mention his length of time abusing his powers afterwards for cash and respect).

And the name? Calling a film 'The Amazing Spiderman' after making him into an emo who is anything but amazing is just a kick in the balls.

I'm actually looking very much forward to both of these movies. I loved the other batman movies so I have hopes that this one will be good, but I can't help but think it won't live up to The Dark Knight.
In any case, I'm sure it will still be good.

Spider-man, on the other hand, I don't actually mind that they are rebooting it with a new continuity. Sure the others were good as I remember seeing them initially but when I went back and watched them again I just thought they were a bit too corny or something, and I have always held spider man as my favorite super hero.

From watching the trailer, I just feel like this new one is going to be better. I don't know why but I like the tone of it or something.

Anyway, we will see. I for one am excited to see both :D

I'm kinda lukewarm on the Batman movies, so, eh.

I want to resist the Spiderman reboot, being a Raimi fan and thinking that Tobey Maguire is perfectly cast. However, having watched that trailer, I admit that it makes the new movie look pretty damn cool.

But ug. Is this what we have to look forward to --their rebooting these big franchises over and over again ad nauseum instead of giving us newer and fresher and more diverse fare? There are plenty other super heros available.

How long do you give them before they decide it's time to reboot Harry Potter? Maybe there will be refuge in independent films...if independent filmmaking survives beyond Youtube.

Dude, Bats would pull out some crazy anti-spider bug spray. Or he'd find out Spiderman's secret weakness -- using Aunt May as bait, for example.

And once Parker was dust, Batman would bow-chicka-wow-wow all over that Mary Jane like John Holmes in a convent.

I am sad to see the original spiderman franchise end. I love spiderman and I liked the MC's performance in the soc. so I probably will go see the Amazing Spiderman but I won't be able to help comparing it to the original which I think was perfectly cast all around. Topher Grace seemed like the perfect dick to play Eddie Brock in SM3 and I liked Kirsten Dunst and Toby McGuire. James Franco was completely believable, and he and McGuire made the friendship turned enemy-ship so awesome because their relationship was believable. That cast had a chemistry that I think that the new one will really have to work hard to live up to.

I lurv Kirsten Dunst, she's been (one of) my major crushes since I was about 11. Not sad to see the end of that franchise, it had burnt out by the third one.

Anyone who knows my view on The Social Network knows that I have long predicted Andrew Garfield to be one of the 'next big things'. Hopefully this movie confirms what I've long known.

I started a thread about The Dark Knight Rises about 8 months ago! Let's hope it keeps going up until release date. I'm not excited by the trailer because there's literally 3 seconds of footage from the new movie that isn't Gary Oldman wheezing but Nolan will amp things up in the next year. I guess they just wanted something to attach to Harry Potter...

Anyhow I'm looking forward to both of them. They seem smart, if you know what I mean. Unlike Transformers 4: Square Root of One...

No contest...Spiderman. Would break his bones in one swing....

Oh, wait, you mean blockbuster standings...and reality.

Right. I like both of them...wish both of them well, however, I'm hoping for Spiderman to come out strong. More potential as a series I think. My own opinion.

thanks.

And once Parker was dust, Batman would bow-chicka-wow-wow all over that Mary Jane like John Holmes in a convent.

:lol:

No contest...Spiderman. Would break his bones in one swing....

Here here. Well said. Put the two in the Thunderdome. No wonderful toys, just hand to hand. Bye bye Bat. Even with the toys. Mayyyyybe if Bruce Wayne was part bat. But he ain't. He just homo sapien sapien.

Just hand to hand

I still think Spiderman would have a good run for his money, seeing as Bruce Wayne is trained in martial arts. It'd be sort of a repeat of the wrestling match Spiderman has at the beginning of his career, but Bruce would actually know how to fight him and have though it through before hand. Probably Spiderman though, seeing as Spiderman's powers can't be taken away with his clothing unlike Bats.

Kind of weird to try and match them up though, considering they're from different comic-universes and abide by different rules.

Last edited:
Actually guys if you think about it, and also they are finally doing it in the new movie, Spider Man can't shoot webs as a power. He has web shooters in the original comics, so in a cage mach against batman with no toys? Spidey gets his super strength and amazing reflexes, and the ability to crawl on things, Batman gets his strength (not super ;) ) and his martial arts training.

Could be an interesting throw down, but my money is on Spider Man even without his webifying powers.

Ok OK, firstly, the origin of Spiderman was already done...the one with Tobey, and it was a great flick, well done on all levels.

Secondly, who was playing too much Mirrors Edge when they decided to create a trailer? What is this a video game port?

Silly.

Ok OK, firstly, the origin of Spiderman was already done...the one with Tobey, and it was a great flick, well done on all levels.

Secondly, who was playing too much Mirrors Edge when they decided to create a trailer? What is this a video game port?

Silly.

Yeah that scene is getting mixed reactions from what I've seen. I mean I think it will be cool to look at in 3D but...yeah.

I REALLY hope they don't over-use that POV type shot in the movie :\

Yeah that scene is getting mixed reactions from what I've seen. I mean I think it will be cool to look at in 3D but...yeah.

I REALLY hope they don't over-use that POV type shot in the movie :\

I don't think they will.

With Raimi's version the big 'stylistic' thing was those epic shots of Spidey swinging through New York, so Webb was under pressure to produce something visually different from Raimi's version to stir up interest. If he'd gone for Spidey Mark II just doing the same thing as Raimi's version then the series' detractors would start calling the reboot unnecessary. If you're rebooting a franchise then it's got to be clear you're taking it in a new direction.

My guess is that the final cut will include both the Mirror's Edge style shots and Raimiesque skyscrape swinging, but for the teaser it was important to show that visually, as well as thematically, this film is going in a different direction.

Back