Bad characters; good plot. Bad plot; good characters

Would you rather:

A) Watch a movie with poorly played and written characters, but with a really good plot?

OR

B) Watch a movie with incredibly well written and played characters, but with a really bad plot?

It's kinda like asking if you'd like a turd on your ice cream or ice cream on your turd.

Good characters are the secret sauce to a good story.

I'll take great characters on a poor plot.

I'd go the other way around... I'd take poor characters over poor plot. This assumes you're not talking about poor dialogue to go along with poor anything else.

The truth of it though, you're better off with decent characters and decent plot rather than poor of either. Obviously, good plot and good characters is the best choice.

I don't know. Of course I'd rather not have to choose, either. But, funny thing, I was just thinking about that because of that other thread about Ironsky. Most seem disappointed by it. Rayw hates it. But I wouldn't say it has a bad plot...just, perhaps, falling short of hopes. But, I was thinking that it has multiple and amusing and well played characters. It's largely those amusing characters and their actions that save the film, I think.

So there is something to be said for strong characters, even in bad or less than stellar films.

A plot is simply the chain of events that occur over the course of a story.

Good characters with solid performances don't need a "plot." They just need a story.

An interesting plot still needs a solid story behind it and at least serviceable characters/performances (the er .. better they are the better ... ) to make it really work.

Otherwise it's just going through the motions of choreographing set pieces and putting them on screen.

Depends on the film, really. Of course, in an ideal world you'd have both (to either extreme).

I usually prefer good characters over plot. Take for example any given Ingmar Bergman film (Cries and Whispers is a good starting place). It's not about what's going on, because nothing really happens. It's about the people and it's absolutely brilliant.

On the other hand, take any given horror film. It's a lot easier to accept poor characters in an interesting situation, doubly so if you're talking a slasher style film where the people are just cannon fodder anyway. I'd even go so far as to say in the case of most horror films, it's not as important WHAT happens as HOW it happens (but that might be a different discussion).

And bad plot with bad characters can of course sometimes work too. Example: Sinbad of the Seven Seas (starring Lou Ferrigno). Very little redeeming about it, and it's fantastic. Well, for those who appreciate that sort of thing anyway.

And a bit of food for thought from Philip K. Dick: he once wrote that a good short story is about what happens, and a novel is about who it happens to.

Good characters over a bad plot any day of the week. Stories don't interest me unless I care about the characters and relate to them. It doesn't work in the reverse.

Prime example is Independence Day. Weak plot, great actors making great characters. And everyone loves that movie.

A terrible (quality) moment is made memorable in a favorable way by a great actor and character. Proof - I still love the moment when Obi-Wan and Darth Vader square off in A New Hope. The duel is terrible and limited - but it's still a great moment that everyone remembers and can quote with ease. Two great characters, a weak moment, but the love of Obi-wan makes such a great moment when he sacrifices himself to let Luke grow into a man and have the duty of saving his father.

- Jow

I'm not sure why are you even asking this question but it is the Lobby...

If you write scripts (or make movies), aim for the best you can possibly do - the pros aim for:

• have a great plot/story - the pros say 'story is king'
  • great characters
  • great dialogue - it's essential it keeps us fully engaged (never bores us)
  • originality - give us something fresh
Do all the above and you'll have a killer script/movie - one that has a hell of a good chance of selling!

Is any of the above easy to do? No.

...but is it do-able? It is.

I have watched 50+ shorts over the last week or so. 80% of them were visually really strong. About 30% have ok dialogue. Maybe 20% had good dialogue that engaged you.

The ones with good dialogue and a great story - I'd say under 5%.

You'll find some good ones here (particularly the $500k winner):

http://www.youtube.com/user/yourfilmfestival?feature=watch

Some great articles:

How to Create Great Characters
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/how-to-create-great-characters.php

How to Write Great Dialogue
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/how-to-write-great-dialogue.php

Story is King
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/story-is-king.php

Last edited:
Back