• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Backwards filmed video - feedback appreciated!

Please have a look at a music video I directed last month for the band Waiting For Sunday.

The entire thing was filmed backwards while the singer had different things dumped on him, so when played forwards, it looked as though everything was coming off. It was all filmed in one take, with background players moving backwards as well. In preparation, the singer spent months learning to play and sing the song backwards, so when played back, it looked as though he was singing naturally. While we knew we would never nail it 100%, I think all things considered it came out pretty good.

Anyhow, please let me know any comments or feedback you may have. If you are interested, there is a short making-of video that shows a little of the preparation work that went into it.

WAITING FOR SUNDAY "LAST GOODBYE" MUSIC VIDEO: http://www.vimeo.com/20038769
MAKING OF: http://www.vimeo.com/20039755

Thanks!
-Colin

Really neat, and creative. I love music video's that step away from the norm at try something new. This could easily be compared to one of OK GO's music videos, and they are without a doubt the best.

Thanks for the replies! The OK GO videos were definitely a source of inspiration - we wanted to do something similarly clever, that we could shoot with a very tight budget.

i dont understand... so you shot it backwards... like ... the film rolled backwards... i dont understand how it works...

you throw stuff at him... but because the film is filmed backwards its like a time parody-me...

JUST KIDDING... seriously... the way you wrote that confused the crap out of me until the video started... then i got it... but... honestly... AWESOME!!!!

great video... something i would love to try... but have no reason too hahahahah

just a tip though... next time just film it forwards... and make everyone act like they are doing things backwards... then play it backwards hahahahaahahahhahhaaha

seriously... I loved it...

Very good, nicely done man.

Really reminded me of two (obvious) videos. The Coldplay one (he hadn't quite got the Chris Martin precision, but it was still impressive) and the Jack Johnson one.

Very good, nicely done man.

Really reminded me of two (obvious) videos. The Coldplay one (he hadn't quite got the Chris Martin precision, but it was still impressive) and the Jack Johnson one.

Thanks for the feedback. We realized that this idea had likely been done in various forms before (there was a rap video by The Pharcyde in the 90s that was shot backwards). Many people have mentioned since the Jack Johnson one, which I haven't seen. I haven't seen the Coldplay one either. Can you tell me the name of the songs?

Thanks for the feedback. We realized that this idea had likely been done in various forms before (there was a rap video by The Pharcyde in the 90s that was shot backwards). Many people have mentioned since the Jack Johnson one, which I haven't seen. I haven't seen the Coldplay one either. Can you tell me the name of the songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRAtPQ1lPIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxNJHuM0Js0

Thanks for the links to other videos.

I noticed in the Coldplay one that obviously they had lots of cuts, so had the advantage of being able to run takes till they got it right.

The Jack Johnson one is really nicely done; however, he only sings along for a couple parts, which is the trickiest part to sync up. Really liked this one though! They even had the guitar flying up gag that we were going to have happen at the end of the video as well, but we scrapped it because each rehearsal we tried to do it, the singer kept getting clocked in the head.

(We had a background gag with the clown, in that he was pulling a helium balloon on a fishing wire down as he walked backwards, so when played back, it looked like it was floating away. Unfortunately, on the day of the shoot, it was raining heavily and kept weighing the balloon down, so when we did the take, it wasn't framed properly. You can see the balloon start to 'float' away right before the clown walks behind the singer.)

Reminds me a bit of the scene from Top Secret in the Library... I love this technique... Aerosmith did it with the guitar solo in "Angel" as well... brilliant stuff! Nice work :)

Back