Axe Dye here, an Introduction

For my first thread I decided to simply drop in the newb forum and introduce myself. My artist name is Axe Dye but real name is Kevin Dye, I only use my artist name for my music and forums. I am projektk on gearslutz and I am axedye on the DUC over at Avid. I am an audio engineer, I got certified at Sound Master in Alhambra CA before they changed it to Pinnacle College, it's still the same however they added in classes for upgrading PC parts like RAM and Hard Drives. I'm not sure how you feel about any schooling in film but if you are into audio looking to get into field recording or post production I highly recommend you stay away from audio school. Honestly the best way to do it is go to Groove3 to learn pretty much everything you can about audio and watch youtube videos, if you feel schooling will help, it will just get a regular degree in literally anything. Associates or Bachelors, it will help your audio career more than getting audio engineer certified or getting an associates at an over priced audio school. I enjoyed my time at Sound Master and I don't regret it, with the money I invested to go their I could have had some really sweet gear by now probably more experience since I had to take any job possible to pay off student loans. Without the student loans I would have taken an unpaid internship no problem. Like I said the schooling will help you just thought I'd give you my 2 cents.

I have worked in a studio environment, several studios, since 2006. Within those 8 years I have only been on 3 location shoots with a mentor of mine as a volunteer second engineer. After my studio went up in flames last year I have been thinking hard about what I should get to replace my last set of gear. I couldn't really find any motivation to continue in a studio environment. I've decided that what I want to do and have always enjoyed the most is location recording on a set. I will be starting my services up with a portable recorder, 16GB sd card, external rechargeable battery for long days, a shotgun mic, boom pole, as well as a wireless cavalier mic. After research and based on my budget I am able to do a lot of jobs with this set up. I will be adding to it each year, my goal is to have 5 wireless mics, 3 shotgun mics, 3 2xmic pre portable recorders, and a 6 mic pre portable recorder. I want to expand my services into equipment rentals as well as managing an entire crew if needed.

My experience for now in field recording is still at amateur status, I have never been paid to do it and I have only gone to 3 shoots. So I am looking to socialize and make friends with those venturing into the film industry. Connect with people, have a good time, maybe go to some film festivals, and just network the old fashion way while I build up my gear list. If jobs present themselves I will take them at a pretty low wage to start. For what it's worth anyone who might be wondering I never work in audio for under $20/hour, if the production is in the IE that would be different since gas is hardly a factor near my home.

To those getting into this business NEVER WORK FOR FREE, unless your reason seems good. lol. Any field, especially if you have your own gear. At least charge a rental fee. I only work for free if I feel it'll help my resume, meaning if you get a call to do some free work on the second avengers movie damn it take it! lol Also if you have no demo reel, yeah working for free makes some since to get it going.

So feel free to hit me up, im open to party with my fellow peers in the indie film industry, I smoke hookah, I rap, I enjoy life. Not looking for work on a forum, looking for friends in the same field. Have a great week.

-Kevin

Back