• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

avid or premiere?

:huh: question? What do people think about Avid Xpress Pro Versus Abobe Premiere? I am thinking about getting either one (I have a PC) and have worked with both in the past, but not enough to know which I like better, is better, etc. If this makes a difference, I would be editing footage shot on a DVX100 and would like to use the program to edit small projects for other people. Basically to start myself as a small time freelance editor>

So what do you think? Thanx in advance. Always a pleasure hearing from your folks :D

Beeblebrox said:
It appears that what happens is the fields get out of phase somehow and there's no way to fix it. Any idea what could be going on there?

I have no idea. My edits with 24p material are clean, no errors, no hang ups, and the fields seem fine. There are 2 settinsin the DVX100A for 3:2:2:3 or 2:3:3:2, and whichever one you use is the same as the settings in Premiere. As long as that's setup correct, I have had no probelsm at all.

AS Johnny Wu said... unless you are getting a film print made, it makes NO DIFFERENCE to edit in 24p mode. It's a waste of time & resources. The 24p DVD's I've made are inferior to the 3:2 pulldown 29.97Fps from the same source footage.

sonnyboo said:
AS Johnny Wu said... unless you are getting a film print made, it makes NO DIFFERENCE to edit in 24p mode. It's a waste of time & resources. The 24p DVD's I've made are inferior to the 3:2 pulldown 29.97Fps from the same source footage.

One of the big under-rated advantages of 24p is the file size. When FCP captures 24p, it leaves out the extra fields, which means a file with 24 frames per second as opposed to 30. That results in a file about 4/5 the size per second, which can add up when you're talking about hours of footage.

Also, when you do a lot of compositing work like I do, working with true progressive footage is a LOT easier than working interlaced.

24p normal (2:3 pulldown) has been known to be problematic in Premiere Pro. 24pA is the better route to go and it works perfectly in Premiere Pro. It does the same thing that Beeblebrox is talking about with FCP. More space on a DVD means less compression or longer run times. Definitely worth it. The problems only arise when you try to edit 24p in a 60i stream with Premiere Pro 1.5. Editing a 24p in 60i stream will work fine in any other version of Premiere (though these don't support true 24p editing).

I do technical support and training to put bread on the table and I have these discussions all the time with people, which OS, which browser, etc. Ultimately, they are just tools, hammers and nails. A carpenter needs a good hammer that drives nails and the brand of the hammer is a lot less important than the hand that holds it. That's an oversimplification but I think folks spend a lot of time and energy on picking the pefect, best system and then worry that they may have made the wrong choice. Check you budget, get the best thing you can afford. Final Cut Pro for Mac, I'd lean towards Premiere in the PC world. Capture video and then hammer away.

just wanted to say thanks alot for this post. because i've been trying premier for 2 weeks now without any troubles, and having nothing but fun with it. no hard times have come across me thus far. just fun times... but i was told it's practically trash compared to avid from this video editor who works at a tv station.

but thanks to you guys, i'm going to stick with adobe premier and finally purchase it.

thanks alot! i just gave avid a shot, and oh my god that just looks too hard to get used too.

in terms of special effects, and the overall outcome of the actual project, there isn't any difference neither??? are you guys certain about that?

kases said:
just wanted to say thanks alot for this post. because i've been trying premier for 2 weeks now without any troubles, and having nothing but fun with it. no hard times have come across me thus far. just fun times... but i was told it's practically trash compared to avid from this video editor who works at a tv station.

but thanks to you guys, i'm going to stick with adobe premier and finally purchase it.

thanks alot! i just gave avid a shot, and oh my god that just looks too hard to get used too.

in terms of special effects, and the overall outcome of the actual project, there isn't any difference neither??? are you guys certain about that?
First off, the editor at the TV station sounds like he or she doesn't know what they're talking about. Before editing on Avid Xpress Pro, I was strictly a Premiere editor. It suited me well, worked with few problems, and got the job done. And that was with Premiere 6.5. I've been messing around with Premiere Pro 1.5, and I can see that Adobe has advanced the program since I last used it. So to say it's trash is an uninformed, and ill-spoken statement.

As far as special effects, as far as I can tell, it's more what program you are going to use after using Avid or Premiere. We use Boris Red for Avid, and I used AfterEffects with Premiere. But, of course, both Premiere and Avid have built in basic effects you can use.

thanx for all the advice. but I am not going to lie...i am very undecided! but I do have a PC and premiere does bring a great bundle..........hmm...gonna have to keep thinking a bit longer

Shaw said:
Try out the demos!

You know, we should've said that way ahead of time earlier :) I think it's better to try the demons and see which fits you best :)

I do have an issue (well not issue just annoys me) with a lot of people who doesn't know anything about editing and when you tell him you are using an avid or a premiere, they look down on you and say FCP is better *shrug* Worst, I lost a bunch of editing work because I don't have FCP but I have Premiere Pro 1.5

I use Vegas from starting out at Avid Pro. Find it very intuitive..a lot easier workflow and with the AC3 and 5.1 built in with the DVD Architect..other NLE's should be worried. Especially since version 6 just came out with VST, photoshop and Blackdesign HD card support. The only thing it needs to put in the program is dvcpro-hd codec but since the $6000 Pany HD is not out yet, im sure it will be given as a free upgrade to registered owners soon. Try the demo..it is different but the end results is staggering, and a lot more user friendly. FCP did come out with it's soundtrack pro software but still comes up short since it doesn't output wav files or support VSTI's plugins. Big mistake since that looks like the same thing that Digidesign (protools) does with it's OMF files. Not to mention previewing your footage on Vegas is in native 24p in real time-without the use of external converters like the mojo.

Last edited:
hi there, i'm kinda new to the video editing scene , but a veteran in the audio /sound engineering editing scene. The way i see it, the same question lies with the sound programs in 'our' forums too :) Cubase SX or Pro Tools 7 ..this or that...bla ...or blaa

What i see is that both scenes work exactly the same way
both have the same process line and some stages are more important than others.

Like in both recording (or filming ) is 90 % of the deal a good sound ( or visual and lighting) it will set the rate of success or failure of the song (or film)

Then there's the mixing stage (thats editing for you guys :) it will either enhance the song (or film) to what the artist wants to show or...kill it.

Then assuming everything is done correctly there's the mastering which is where you get the mixed product (or edited product) and spruce it up a bit (for you guys that would be post production)

The point is in both scenes there are 2 programs that dominate and a few others that are close behind, and the question is always the same..which one is better.

There really is no answer to this the truth is that you can have a person create a masterpiece with a sub par program thats no where near the capabilities of Avid or Pro, and a piece of crap using the best programs. It all comes down to talent and what program suits you best, that's what i've come to realise using countless audio progs all these years.

Back