• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

AVCHD - Editing Software Suggestions

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for an editing program that supports imported AVCHD files.

I found a few editors I can pick up, like:

- Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 Plus HD/3D
- Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (Didn't know if this was more of a Special Effects program)
- Avid Studio
- Vegas Movie Studio HD
- Pinnacle StudioHD: Ultimate Collection Version 15

Anyone know much about these editors?

The main thing I'm looking for is an AVCHD video editor that can edit in native 24p AVCHD.
I'm on a PC, core i7, 2.0GHz, 8GB, with two 500gb Hard Drives. So I think I can handle most editing programs.

I thought I'd ask before I bought a program.
Thanks!

No one is answering because of previous threads on this topic.

So, let me give you two questions to answer to help you to decide:

What platform computer are you using?

What is your budget for buying HD Video editing software?

Buy what you can afford and learn editing from it. You can always buy a more deluxe program when you have more money.

i use vegas and i tried elements and decided to stick with vegas. my computer is sluggish so i tend to convert avchd into mpeg2 and i find minimal difference in quality. your computer sounds powerful but dual core would probably be best

If you're a student there are some really great options for low-priced quality software. I got AVID Media Composer for less than three hundred dollars when it's usually upwards of $1000. I really like AVID's interface and functionality.

I previously used Adobe Premiere and Vegas.

A few months back I switched to Edius 6. Big, big difference. There may not be a ton of plugins for it, but the thing allows for quick editing of native H.264, etc. files. I've completed a handful of projects (music videos, promos, etc.) on it and it has yet to crash.

It's personal preference, now more than ever. Most everything can edit AVCHD natively. It's just taste. Download the trial versions. I've always found Vegas the most intuitive, others find it confusing and stupid. YMMV.

i use vegas and i tried elements and decided to stick with vegas. my computer is sluggish so i tend to convert avchd into mpeg2 and i find minimal difference in quality. your computer sounds powerful but dual core would probably be best

An i7 is only come in quad-core and six-core versions (his 2.0 GHz version would be a quad) so he will be fine with the processor he has. However he should have some sort of independent video card to be editing in HD.

Back to the question, it is dependent on money, ability, desire to learn, use of VFX (FYI, special effects are in camera), ect. Figure those things out first, and then ask us which we think would be best for how YOU plan to use it. There is no best overall, only a best for each person.

I have no idea why people insist on editing with these native formats. Check out the free and pay intermediate files that are out there and just make it part of your work flow (unless you're editing a birthday party or something).
If you were paying an editor, the first thing he/she would do is change AVCHD to an intermediate file before they even sit down.

I have no idea why people insist on editing with these native formats. Check out the free and pay intermediate files that are out there and just make it part of your work flow (unless you're editing a birthday party or something).
If you were paying an editor, the first thing he/she would do is change AVCHD to an intermediate file before they even sit down.

+1

Ever since I read this, I've stayed in native formats for the most part. Nothing amateur about Steve Mullen. If a guy is that serious about grading, probably better off shooting in something other than 420 color.

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/long-gop-editing-0709/

Ever since I read this, I've stayed in native formats for the most part. Nothing amateur about Steve Mullen. If a guy is that serious about grading, probably better off shooting in something other than 420 color.

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/long-gop-editing-0709/

I think I've read that before. I hear you and an intermediate file will not add anything to a colors space; what you get out of the camera is what you get. It will however give you less artifacting if you do push/pull color and you can jump in and out of After Effects on a whim. Also, if your dealing with AVCHD pull downs it will deal with that and (probably just a personal thing) if I'm editing different native types on the same timeline, it sure seems to run better if they are converted to the same intermediate file type.

There are different schools of thought on this and I'm too lazy to cite things on a point to point level, but the info is out there for all that want to muck through this.

Matrox also has a free intermediary codec, but you might not need it if you have newer machine, unless, as Cam says, you do a lot of After Effects stuff.

The GH2's avchd's codec is hacked now up to 250mb/sec. GOP1, intra frame imaging, the motion signature looks like something you'd get from a $60,000 cine cam.

Last edited:
Back