Avantone CK1 / Zoom H4n and the phantom hum

Hi all

I just received my wonderful new Avantone CK1 in the mail and I have hooked it up to my H4n for the first time. The mic draws 48V phantom power, so I've set up the H4n to allow this.

Now, when I record drawing power from H4n's 2 AA batteries, there are no issues. Sounds okay, or as good as you would expect this set-up to sound.

However, when the H4n draws from mains power, I get a high frequency humming sound. Unplug from the mains, humming disappears. Plug it back in, it's back again. Connect the Zoom to my laptop using a USB cable... it disappears again!

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Weird grounding or loose connections or cheap Chinese microphone craziness? For reference, my shotgun mic that draws 48V phantom power doesn't have this problem.

Many thanks

More like two sleeves and a bunch of rechargers.

BTW, I know that Tascam products tend to be pricey in the UK, but they generally fare much better than Zoom in these types of situations; one of the reasons I prefer them....

Aye, I know. I can't remember what it was that convinced me to go with the Zoom. The Tascam is better in so many practical ways, every review and shoot-out I have read comes to that conclusion. I think it was the price and something do to with the charger. I wish I'd waited an extra month. Oh well.

Back