Audio & Video sync solutions?

Friends,
So I have shot some youtube videos, and before I got a DSLR I was just using a regular low budget point and shoot camera. I would use that camera's Mic to capture the music I was playing. Obviously that is unacceptable for a music video, so I began running the music into the board and running it directly into my daw. I would then import those files into iMovie, line them up, and mute the audio from the camera so that the end result had excellent quality audio with so-so video quality.

I began to notice that the conversion rate for the camera was slightly different from that of the mixer/daw and there would be lartency issues later on.

So my question to the kind members here is this:
What type of equipment is needed to get the audio and video perfectly in sync. I don't know anything about timecode.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Friends,
So I have shot some youtube videos, and before I got a DSLR I was just using a regular low budget point and shoot camera. I would use that camera's Mic to capture the music I was playing. Obviously that is unacceptable for a music video, so I began running the music into the board and running it directly into my daw. I would then import those files into iMovie, line them up, and mute the audio from the camera so that the end result had excellent quality audio with so-so video quality.

I began to notice that the conversion rate for the camera was slightly different from that of the mixer/daw and there would be lartency issues later on.

So my question to the kind members here is this:
What type of equipment is needed to get the audio and video perfectly in sync. I don't know anything about timecode.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

I think I can help you out here. First of all, what frame rate are you shooting at? What frame rate is your editor set to? What resolution was the audio recorded in (44.1kHz, 48Khz ect...)? And what resolution does iMove think it's handling? Try deleting the camera captured audio instead of muting it. What DAW are you working in?

By not syncing what do you mean? Do you mean that none of it syncs? Or that it syncs at first and then drifts off?

Here's the good news, you don't need any "equipment" to get audio and video to sync.

Back