• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio sync

Hello everyone, I've googled that last 3 hours of my life away and I'm still pretty much where I was on the start.
I'm sure there's a quick and dirty answer to this but still.. There's something I'm not getting.

I just edited together all of the clips for a short in premiere pro. everything is in a montage as it will be in the final, now I moved on to audio.. I am shooting in 24p on a t2i. I recorded audio externally on a recorder and cannot get the audio to sync at all! it's off no matter what I do, I tried altering the speed, getting Audacity and trying to fix it, nothing worked.
I am afraid that if I don't find an answer till tomorrow I will be forced to use the in-camera sound.
Please help,
Anel.

What method are you using for syncing? What I do is do my best to line up the 'good' audio with the in-camera audio visually (going by any big peaks in the wave form). Then play them back together and adjust one frame at a time in either direction if something is out of sync. It's tedious but it works.

Or you could use PluralEyes (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called)

hmm the tedious method could work (I'm willing to do anything just to fix it). I'll give it a go, though I have a feeling that it could take about an hour to do 2 minutes of footage which is insane just to be synced up properly. I am starting to resent 24p.. I am using premiere pro and just dropping down the audio files I have from the external recorder onto the timeline. needless to say I'm in a nightmare.

Well, first you are supposed to sync all of the audio with all of the video, then edit.

Now, what settings did you use on the external recorder? Hopefully it was 48kHz. If you used 44.1kHz you will have to do 1% pull-up (if I remember properly).

Also, are you 100% sure that you are matching the correct audio clips to the visuals? You're not trying to match the audio from take four to the visuals of take seven?

I'm sure i'm syncing the right ones yes, it just happens that it goes out of sync after a while.
How can I find out the exact kHz? The only info i'm able to find is the 256 bit rate.

Now after 3 days of editing clips together (just cutting and placing), I'm lost. The audio recorded separately is pretty much unusable to me at the moment. please help.

Sorry Alcove, the recorder was borrowed. I opened audacity and it showed that the file is 16khz but I converted it into 48khz, don't know why though... sounds the same to me..

If the audio was recorded at 44.1kHz (was it borrowed from a musician?) it will be a little slower due to non-conversion than video audio which is recorded at 48kHz. Audacity does not auto-convert audio-for-video files the way Pro Tools would. As I said, you will probably have to do a 1% pull-up - that means time-compressing the audio by 1% if, in fact, the 44.1kHz/48kHz conversion is the sync problem.

BTW, 16kHz is very 1980's. I'm sure that you mean 16bit.

Well I have lost hope in external audio, I am doing a very "noobish" thing to at least save the video and that is exporting all of the audio from the t2i separately and cleaning it extensively with audacity and such programs, though I admit the audio is way better, it's not what I wanted.
In the future I am not sure whether to approach separate recorders or not although I would love to!
one side question to maybe motivate me a bit, does the zoom h1 come with some kind of an recording option to record audio in the same rate as 24p video records? meaning that it will sync perfectly with 24p on a t2i?

just set your recorder to 48khz, 16bit. run the camera, clap your hands to "peak" the sound for your post to match video and audio. Done.

shot several shorts with h4n and t2i with above mentioned settings, didnt have any sync problems.

Do you have the raw audio files from the H1 that HAVE NOT, repeat, HAVE NOT been imported into either Premiere or Audacity? You should try re-importing at the proper settings. Lots of NLEs allow for multiple audio formats (MP3, CD [44.1kHz] and DVD [48kHz]) to coexist in the same time-line without conversion.

Open Audacity, set up a 48kHz session and import the raw H1 data into the session. This should convert the 44.1kHz files to 48kHz drop-down files with the proper time lengths.

Back