Audio Setup Help

So I recently purchased myself a whole audio recording setup for my camera. These are the things I bought.

Tascam DR100 MKII (Audio Mixer)
Rode NTG-2 (Shotgun Microphone)
Nady SMPS-1X (Phantom Power)
2 XLR Cables
Some 3.5mm cables

I thought I planned everything out before I made the purchase, but now I'm confused. I'm going to plug the NTG-2 into the DR100 via an XLR cable. Then run a 3.5mm from the recorder to my camera for audio syncing, as well as audio to my headphones. However, I'm not sure how I feed the phantom power into the recorder. Do I have to use an XLR cable from the SMPS-1X to the DR100?

Also, will the DR100 act as a medium to transfer power from the SMPS-1X into the microphone?

Thanks, Sean

You don't need the Nady. The NTG-2 can use a battery to supply its own phantom power, or you can supply phantom power to the NTG-2 from the DR-100 (although this drains the batteries of the DR-100 quite rapidly). WARNING - Do not, repeat, DO NOT use the phantom power of the NTG-2 and the DR-100 at the same time!!!

You do not have to run a cable from the DR-100 to the camera. You can sync the audio from the DR-100 to the camera audio manually or with software like PluralEyes.

You don't need the Nady. The NTG-2 can use a battery to supply its own phantom power, or you can supply phantom power to the NTG-2 from the DR-100 (although this drains the batteries of the DR-100 quite rapidly). WARNING - Do not, repeat, DO NOT use the phantom power of the NTG-2 and the DR-100 at the same time!!!

You do not have to run a cable from the DR-100 to the camera. You can sync the audio from the DR-100 to the camera audio manually or with software like PluralEyes.

Thanks. However, I was kind of seeking how I would run both of those off of the SMPS-1X. I'd rather have the batteries of the microphone and the batteries in the recorder as backup.

Why add another device (which, as far as I know, does not run on batteries) to the signal chain? It serves no useful purpose to a field recording kit, the whole point of which is to be very mobile. The NTG-2 can run for a long time before it needs a fresh battery. The DR-100 does not need phantom power to run.

Why add another device (which, as far as I know, does not run on batteries) to the signal chain? It serves no useful purpose to a field recording kit, the whole point of which is to be very mobile. The NTG-2 can run for a long time before it needs a fresh battery. The DR-100 does not need phantom power to run.

Well I'm attaching all of these items to a shoulder rig. It hasn't shipped yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need extra counterweight on the back of it. I can add the SMPS to the back for that. It'll provide tons of more battery time, and I won't have to use Alkalines for the microphone. I still just want to know how I can provide power to both the microphone and audio recorder from the SMPS

I still just want to know how I can provide power to both the microphone and audio recorder from the SMPS

You can't. The DR-100 only supplies phantom power to other units. The phantom power mode can be turned off.

There is still no practical reason to use the SMPS-1X. As I mentioned, the whole point of the DR-100/NTG-2 combo is to be very mobile and UNattached to the camera. Also, where are you going to get power for the SMPS-1X when you are shooting outdoors?

Are you perhaps confusing phantom power with battery packs?

Your ignorance of audio is overwhelming. Don't take it the wrong way, I wouldn't know an F-stop from a door-stop; that's not my specialty. Audio is my specialty, and my livelihood. But, if you don't want to take the advice of someone with almost 40 years in the audio biz, suit yourself....

I still just want to know how I can provide power to both the microphone and audio recorder from the SMPS

I've with Alcove on this. The SMPS is essentially a power converter; it converts mains power into 48v phantom power which is needed to power condenser type microphones. The DR100 already has a converter built into it, to supply a condenser mic with 48v phantom power and, your particular mic also has a built in converter to provide phantom power when running from it's own internal batteries. So why you would need a 3rd phantom power supply/converter for one mic is a bit of a mystery!?

G

Yeah what they said..

Dont bother with the Nady.

If you want a battery for ballast, not a bad idea by the way, you could use something more generic to power all your gear, camera, sound recorder, 7" monitor...

Or you could get a battery pack just for the tascam..

This attaches to your DR100 and give you extended run time. Which is pretty awesome for the price..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/826148-REG/Tascam_BP_6AA_BP_6AA_External_Battery_Pack.html

You could find a rechargeable widget for more money that does about the same thing..

Back